Medicine for geese

Your geese and property are beautiful. I agree that with your lush green pasture in Ireland, you would not need to do much to supplement their diet. The grains you provide are probably sufficient, but I also view bread and white rice as filler treats.

As for your gander's lean condition and conjunctivitis, it could be anything.... viral, bacterial, fungal or parasitic and each would require different treatment. Try googling "waterfowl conjunctivitis" for more information. I would (at a minimum) catch him, give him a careful exam, and keep him isolated until you can figure out what is wrong. I assume you cannot take him to a local vet for exam/treatment?

Thank you for the info and now im going to give them feed 4 times a week and bread alot less then usual and im glad i said it in this tread since i learned alot and i just told my sister (shes a vetenarian) and shes going to examen him and see what caused the problem since she deals alot with birds this year and ill keep ye updated on this

The gander is going to the vet on thursday
thanks anyway O:)

Your geese and property are beautiful.  I agree that with your lush green pasture in Ireland, you would not need to do much to supplement their diet.  The grains you provide are probably sufficient, but I also view bread and white rice as filler treats.

As for your gander's lean condition and conjunctivitis, it could be anything.... viral, bacterial, fungal or parasitic and each would require different treatment.  Try googling "waterfowl conjunctivitis" for more information.  I would (at a minimum) catch him, give him a careful exam, and keep him isolated until you can figure out what is wrong.  I assume you cannot take him to a local vet for exam/treatment?

thanks for the compliments ;-) and yes my sister is a vet and shes going to examine him on thursday . I dont wanna lose this gander becoz they are extremly rare in ireland and if he dies that means i will have no gander for my 4 other buff african females so ill keep u updated also
Thanks

I try to worm twice a year. I leave wheat out for all my birds, but in the summer when there is a lot of "free" grass available I give supplemental only, they don't need commercial feed with all the fillers, they are getting that from the grass, I give calf manna pellets and vionate only, hoping between the two they are getting any vitamins/minerals the grass lacks. Fecal test aren't a reliable test of parasite infection but better than nothing. I don't see anything wrong with feeding rice, If price were no object I would at least try it. Please let us know what you find out.

Last edited:
I try to worm twice a year. I leave wheat out for all my birds, but in the summer when there is a lot of "free" grass available I give supplemental only, they don't need commercial feed with all the fillers, they are getting that from the grass, I give calf manna pellets and vionate only, hoping between the two they are getting any vitamins/minerals the grass lacks. Fecal test aren't a reliable test of parasite infection but better than nothing. I don't see anything wrong with feeding rice, If price were no object I would at least try it. Please let us know what you find out.
Un cooked rice?

Since your sister is a vet all you have to do is collect samples from the geese poo in the area. Get poo from different samples this way you have a few samples all in one. I worm mine in the Spring and in the Fall.... Keeping them worm free makes for a healthier flock because worm can cause a lot of problems and they can die from worm especially grape worms in the throat.

Back
Top Bottom