Medicine for geese

Hello Chickensoiux. I have an older goose, Francie, and the vet prescribed metacam for her arthritis, She only gave her a weeks worth and said she really isn't into drugs for our old geese, since it's hard on the kidneys. Also, to spread out the doses once she feels better. How long did you use metacam for your goose, and, if for a longer period, did it require you to have bloodwork done? It seems to be making her feel much better, but I'm thinking I will try to start her on something more natural like gloucosamine/chondroitin and/or traumeel once she's "over the hump" with discomfort.
Thanks for any info.

I noticed no one answered your questions, so I thought I'd chime in. I have given metacam to my geese when needed. It is effective but as your vet said, very hard on kidneys, so use sparingly. If you need to give it for any extended period, my vet is a HUGE fan of adding human pharmaceutical grade fish oil to help. As for converting to glucosamine, again my vet is a big fan of human pharmaceutical grade glucosamine.

I have a 1.5 year old dewlap toulouse gander with severely deformed legs/feet and one elderly African gander with crippling arthritis (that my vet rescued and now lives with me). They are both being started on brewer's yeast, glucosamine and fish oil this week, as they are experiencing rapid weight gain with winter approaching, despite their restricted diet. My vet plans to monitor efficacy and adjust accordingly in a few weeks. I would be happy to share results.

Last edited:
I noticed no one answered your questions, so I thought I'd chime in. I have given metacam to my geese when needed. It is effective but as your vet said, very hard on kidneys, so use sparingly. If you need to give it for any extended period, my vet is a HUGE fan of adding human pharmaceutical grade fish oil to help. As for converting to glucosamine, again my vet is a big fan of human pharmaceutical grade glucosamine.

I have a 1.5 year old dewlap toulouse gander with severely deformed legs/feet and one elderly African gander with crippling arthritis (that my vet rescued and now lives with me). They are both being started on brewer's yeast, glucosamine and fish oil this week, as they are experiencing rapid weight gain with winter approaching, despite their restricted diet. My vet plans to monitor efficacy and adjust accordingly in a few weeks. I would be happy to share results.
I'd like to know more about this J not for my geese yet but for Ernie my drake that's going on 10 yrs old now. I do the brewers yeast but not the other 2.

[COLOR=B22222]Since your sister is a vet all you have to do is collect samples from the geese poo in the area. Get poo from different samples this way you have a few samples all in one. I worm mine in the Spring and in the Fall.... Keeping them worm free makes for a healthier flock because worm can cause a lot of problems and they can die from worm especially grape worms in the throat.[/COLOR]

already done she told me to collect some and she is going to test it in the clinic and also test my gander

Hey Patti.... Scott is a fan of the brand Usana for fish oil and glucosamine. He is having me start with 1/2 tablet of fish oil, one tablet glucosamine, and 1 tsp brewers yeast for each daily. As for giving it to them, he told me to use spray bottle to mist water on the top of their grain, then sprinkle supplements, so that it sticks to the grain. I would imagine Ernie would also benefit from the supplements and would probably be half dose.

Hey Patti.... Scott is a fan of the brand Usana for fish oil and glucosamine. He is having me start with 1/2 tablet of fish oil, one tablet glucosamine, and 1 tsp brewers yeast for each daily. As for giving it to them, he told me to use spray bottle to mist water on the top of their grain, then sprinkle supplements, so that it sticks to the grain. I would imagine Ernie would also benefit from the supplements and would probably be half dose.
Thanks J I didn't even know fish oil came is tabs. Will look for Usana

Urgent! Can you give a goose a disperin !!!!!!!!! Im asking ye before i overdose my goose coz for me a 1/4 of a disperin wouldent be that bad for a goose ?"?!?

Serv, why would you give aspirin to your goose? Your sister is a vet. Get metacam from her instead.

Thats the problem im trying to contact her but she isnt answering her phone and one of my geese is sick so im urged to give her a disprin but no clue if i can

Back
Top Bottom