Meet Chyna & Olivia

TennesseeTruly

Songster
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Church Hill, TN
Okay so after my anger at getting a Brown Chinese instead of 2 Roman Tufted, I'm now thoroughly in love with my little Brown Chinese! I keep watching for that knob to develop and am keeping my fingers crossed that she's a little girl.

She runs to me the second she sees me. Peeps for me when she can't get to me and will sleep in the food bowl because that's the closest she can get to me. She's thoroughly stolen my heart. I'm still madly in love with Olivia, whom I'm also hoping to be a female.

Here's little Chyna.

24335_20100611_13.jpg

Here's Chyna & Olivia.

24335_20100611_14.jpg

Isn't it just amazing how these little ones can steal your heart away?!?!

Laurie

Last edited:
Beautiful Tennessee, good for you! I too am discovering the bond that forms...

Quick question; do you place any "toys" in the brooder to beat the boredom for them?

Quote:
I put a stuffed animal in there for them to cuddly up to and some baby rings for them to peck at. That way they preen the stuffed animal and play with the rings and don't overpreen each other.

I do it with my ducklings too. Its been successful for me.

Laurie

Cute, cute, cute! I just love my goslings even though they are now around 3 months old and don't look the this anymore. My poor adults are probably feeling neglected because I spend so much time with the younger ones. They just like me from afar but the babies are still so excited to see me when I come out and they stick to me like glue when I'm out with them. The older ones just kind of look at me and go on with whatever they were doing.

In response to the other posters question regarding toys, just a suggestion from what I learned the hard way. Be careful that there's not any parts on them that can potentially be removed. I bought some really nice, sturdy dog toys that had ribbons weaved throughout that I thought they couldn't possibly get loose. They were only around 3 weeks old at the time. The ribbons had multiple knots in them and they were tight and weaved in and out of this big rubber ball. They loved my shoe strings so much when they were out that I thought that would occupy them in the brooder. Well, I was right that they liked the toys and I went out one day and four or five of the long ribbons were gone out of the toys. Not only did they get them untied and unthreaded, they ate them whole because they were nowhere to be found in the brooder and those suckers were long ribbons. I freaked out thinking they would get all bound up in them but everything turned out okay. From that point on the only toys they had were a couple small stuffed animals with the eyes and nose removed and that was it.

Good point! I usually say that because I give all my animals stuffed animals. I always remove buttons, eyes, and anything that can be pulled off. I once had someone ask me what the deal was with all the eyeless and noseless stuffed animals in my house. ROFL!!! I have tons of teeny tiny stuffed rabbits, birds, bunnies for chicks and ducklings and my baby parrots. I have larger ones for my cats, dogs, larger parrots, ducks, and geese.

My 5 year old African Grey, Bandit, won't go to bed at night without his old ratty stuffed froggy! He's had it since he was handfeeding. My 4 year old Blue & Gold macaw has a Princess Ariel stuffed doll she plays and sleeps with.

Laurie

Understood on the remove parts that you can...or they will. They are only two weeks old, today actually; they are very inquisitive and nibble on everything, including us. Especially the male. He is the talker of the two also. Not loud or annoying my any means just likes to chatter with us (and his mate).

They went in the creek yesterday....wow; did they have fun. I was right there wading with them, they actually go under and flap the wings and feet while completely submerged...talk about fast. That brought much happiness to them, should have herd the peeps! (We dried them off and brought back to warm brooder, they were ready for nappy time).

I am so pleased that I followed the advise from goose lovers to take the plunge (so to speak) and get goslings.
They are great. I have much to learn though...am looking forward to growing with them. : )

Aren't they just hilarious when they go to the pond (tank as we call it in TX). When they come up from underwater, their eyes are soooo big like they are fabulously excited! Yesterday I was watching 'Fly Away Home', hope you have seen it, it is about a girl who finds goose eggs and raises them and then teaches them to fly south for the winter. Anyway, on the movie one of the geese turned upside down in the water just like one of mine does, I was sooo excited, I thought my 3 mo old was just goofy, but apparently it's a goose thing - and awesome to watch... I love my geese! jennifer

Back
Top Bottom