Meet "Mabelo", the majestic guardian of my flock (and my house!)

I think what they meant was OP (possibly) allowed Mabelo to be dominant. Like pecking or chasing.

This is just my assumption, i could be wrong!

Yes. I never really encouraged him to chase people, I scold him and shut him in the run if I have to. I also tell his "victims" what they have to do to avoid this, because it's easier to tell people "hey, if he comes to you, pick him up before he tries to peck your shoes" than to make the rooster understand that he doesn't have to do that.

But this person basically said that:

1) I gave him too much freedom. By allowing him to free roam everyday, I basically "taught" him that the whole backyard is his territory and that is why he doesn't like visitors.

2) I gave him too much attention, that is why he "harasses" me now. He guards my door, and when I get out of the house, he dances to me to the point that he doesn't even let me walk sometimes - I have to manually move him away, like "Ok, stop it!".

According to this person, this is also the reason why he dislikes my boyfriend. Mabelo tried to chase him away from me when he saw us hugging in the backyard, and keeps an eye on him since then.

I mean, some of this could be true, but I also think that Mabelo has high testosterone levels and his own personality. I raised the other rooster in the same way and he wasn't like this.

And while I don't deny that Mabelo can be a pain in the ass sometimes, I prefer to embrace his quirks instead of lamenting that he is not a hen or that he is not like the other rooster. Because I can try to "educate" him, but he isn't going to change. And rehoming him or culling him is not an option.

Moreover, there's no kids here, so it's not like he's a real threat.

Yes. I never really encouraged him to chase people, I scold him and shut him in the run if I have to. I also tell his "victims" what they have to do to avoid this, because it's easier to tell people "hey, if he comes to you, pick him up before he tries to peck your shoes" than to make the rooster understand that he doesn't have to do that.

But this person basically said that:

1) I gave him too much freedom. By allowing him to free roam everyday, I basically "taught" him that the whole backyard is his territory and that is why he doesn't like visitors.

2) I gave him too much attention, that is why he "harasses" me now. He guards my door, and when I get out of the house, he dances to me to the point that he doesn't even let me walk sometimes - I have to manually move him away, like "Ok, stop it!".

According to this person, this is also the reason why he dislikes my boyfriend. Mabelo tried to chase him away from me when he saw us hugging in the backyard, and keeps an eye on him since then.

I mean, some of this could be true, but I also think that Mabelo has high testosterone levels and his own personality. I raised the other rooster in the same way and he wasn't like this.

And while I don't deny that Mabelo can be a pain in the ass sometimes, I prefer to embrace his quirks instead of lamenting that he is not a hen or that he is not like the other rooster. Because I can try to "educate" him, but he isn't going to change. And rehoming him or culling him is not an option.

Moreover, there's no kids here, so it's not like he's a real threat.
Very good looking with loads of personality forsure. Great photos, great share. 😍 How old is he now?

This is great - it's awesome that you have managed to make space for this fiesty guy in your life! Hopefully your 2-point lecturer wasn't your boyfriend, or else Mabelo's dislike could be well grounded 🤣
Roosters can be so entertaining!

Very good looking with loads of personality forsure. Great photos, great share. 😍 How old is he now?
He was born on November 25th, 2020. So he is two years old.

This is great - it's awesome that you have managed to make space for this fiesty guy in your life! Hopefully your 2-point lecturer wasn't your boyfriend, or else Mabelo's dislike could be well grounded 🤣
Roosters can be so entertaining!

No, he is my dad's friend, an old guy who used to live in the countryside and has experience as a chicken owner. But he used to raise chickens for meat, so he doesn't agree with being affectionate/bonding with the chickens. He has already suggested that we should eat Mabelo 😅

"Mabelo" was originally called Mabel because he was supposed to be female.

I got him as a 7-day old chick along with a friend who is no longer with us.

(He is the yellow one)

View attachment 3381259

Gosh, when he wasn't sleeping, he was chirping the hell out of himself, but I never knew why he was so insistent. He wasn't cold or hot, he wasn't hungry or thirsty, he didn't miss her mom because he was born in an incubator and he didn't feel lonely because he had a friend to play with. So what the hell did he want?

Like I said, I never knew. I just grabbed him in my arms until he calmed down, like a baby.

Then I slowly realized that he was a bit dumb, but that's another story. (JK)

View attachment 3381261

Before puberty kicked in, "Mabel" was a very sweet "hen".

View attachment 3381264

View attachment 3381268

I eventually realized that I had a boy when "her" wattles and comb started growing way too much. Although I should've noticed earlier - he had very big feet as well.

Anyway, at some point, it was undeniable that he was a rooster. The name "Mabel" didn't fit him anymore, but it had identified him for so long that I just changed it to "Mabelo". (LOL?)

For a long time, I got worried because we already had a rooster, and I didn't want to get rid of one of them.

Luckily, they grew up together so they mostly got along.

View attachment 3381278

So the problem wasn't that I had two roosters, the problem was that Mabelo was very annoying with his mates.

Here he is trying to roll over his fella:

View attachment 3381279

Here he is trying to sit on one of the hens:

View attachment 3381286

Here he is not doing anything in particular but look at his face, he was probably plotting something.

View attachment 3381287

One day I laid down on the grass to sunbathe.

Here's what he did about it.

View attachment 3381288

I'm not going to lie to you.

Mabelo is no longer the sweet chicken that he was before puberty kicked in. I can totally pick him up, hug him, pet him. But he is not a walk in the park, you must know how to deal with him.

He has a personal problem with:

- Shoes
- Strangers
- Shopping carts
- My boyfriend
- The dog, but this is justified, he stole his bread once and Mabelo NEVER FORGETS!

A more experienced chicken owner told me that I'm part of the problem, that I consented him too much... And I must admit that Mabelo is certainly not the kind of rooster that I would have choosen to have, especially as a pet.

But when I sit in the backyard and he comes to me, when I talk to him and he stares at me like he is listening, when I hug him and he relaxes in my arms... I just can't regret it.

I'm weak for that fluffy butt.

View attachment 3381296

And I really can't complain of him as a rooster.

Here he is guarding one of his girls:

View attachment 3381294

Guarding her when we had to put her in this dog's house due to an illness:

View attachment 3381299

He also guards the house and is willing to make noise at the slightest sign of danger. Some of you may think "wow, how annoying" but one time he made a lot of noise because he saw a guy walking on the neighbor's roof... So there are some advantages :D

Ending this post with the latest pic of this ball of feathers that I call Mabelo.

View attachment 3381301
Love the story and you have some great pictures in there.
He is a very fine looking rooster and he seems to take his job very seriously
Love it!

He was born on November 25th, 2020. So he is two years old.

No, he is my dad's friend, an old guy who used to live in the countryside and has experience as a chicken owner. But he used to raise chickens for meat, so he doesn't agree with being affectionate/bonding with the chickens. He has already suggested that we should eat Mabelo 😅
Yeah, don't see that happening. 2 years old he is pretty establish and hopefully as troublemaking as he is going to get.

I personally think roo behavior is very misunderstood. As apex predators we have a serious effect on prey animals. Just because WE think we are not going to eat them does not mean they know it... and we often change our minds on a whim. Chickens are hella smarter than we give them credit for ♡🐓

Last edited:
Yeah, don't see that happening. 2 years old he is pretty establish and hopefully as troublemaking as he is going to get.

I personally think roo behavior is very misunderstood. As apex predators we have a serious effect on prey animals. Just because WE think know we are not going to eat them does not mean they know it... and do we often change our minds on a whim. Chickens are hella smarter than we give them credit for ♡🐓

Sure thing. I think that Mabelo trusts ME, because I took care of him since he was a little 7-day old baby, but that doesn't mean that he will trust other humans automatically.

Sure, he could be more chill like the other rooster, but not even the chillest chicken losses their instincts.

My sweetest/cuddliest hen, Bianca, does not allow strangers to touch her - unless I pick her up and "introduce" them to her. For example, my bf can hold her now but that took a process!

Mabelo, however, does not seem interested in going through that "process" with anyone, haha.

Back
Top Bottom