Meet Mickey! our... silkie?

SimmyChicky

Chirping
5 Years
May 21, 2014
Nova Scotia, Canada
Thats what I assume from the feathered feet and extra toes. But this lil cutie has 1 deformed toe. Not sure what to make of it. Is it part of that bad gene in silkies? We got him from some friends quite a distance away

that's odd! I've never seen anything like it! Is Micky purebred? I don't think Silkies carry any lethal genes (?) so what caused that toe I don't know. do you have any other chickens or silkies?

I don't think he was purebred, but I was told that they seen a Silkie rooster in the flock that Mickey came from.
I was wondering if there was any other extra toe'd chickies but I couldn't find any info on other types.

I don't think he was purebred, but I was told that they seen a Silkie rooster in the flock that Mickey came from.
I was wondering if there was any other extra toe'd chickies but I couldn't find any info on other types.

Mickey is definitely not a pure blood Silkie. Other breeds with five toes include Dorkings and Faverolles.

Extra toes and/or nails are not uncommon on 5 toed birds. The five toed breeds are silkies, Houdans, Sultans, Dorkings and Faverolles. Silkies are the most common of those breeds so it is possible there is one somewhere in his background.

Last edited:
I don't even think Mickey has ever met a silkie - though some hatchery bred can have hard feathers, pink skin, wrong number of toes etc - just probably from very poor parents. Just because Mickey isn't pure silky doesn't mean you can't enjoy him just as Mickey. If you needed/wanted him to improve your stock - well, he's not up to that. Generally I advise people to beware of friends bearing chickens. They tend not to live up to expectations.

Back
Top Bottom