Melamine In Organic Feed!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by luckitri, Dec 3, 2008.

1. luckitri

luckitri Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2008
    http://www.naturalnews.com/News_000571_melamine_organic_chickens_China.html

I
    trust this source. The article says it was found in France. Who is checking to see if it is here?

I am searching this site (BYC) for alternate feed ideas but when it comes to buying the whole grains I don't even know where to go to buy it. And how old do the babies have to be to start giving them alternate foods like whole grains?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I gave mine starter mash for the first 2-3 weeks and gradually added crumbles.

I didn't give them any scratch until they were almost 3 months.

Whole grains are more difficult for them to digest and take more energy.

3. luckitri

luckitri Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2008
    Oh HI Mahonri! I am in Glendale!

Do you know where to buy the whole grains around here at good price? Meaning I don't want to pay Sprouts prices for chicken food. The feed stores near me have cracked corn and the mix for scratch but nothing else. So if I want to give them sunflower seeds and other grains I would like to know where the farmers go?

I don't mind cooking some things for the babies for awhile but none of my chickens care for kitchen scraps which is odd to me. A few years ago I had some chickens that ate EVERYTHING! (Even my rubber plant.) So I guess I am stuck with grains and such. I don't want to get into giving them meat either although they have shown that they would love to have some.

I am thinking that since the corn generates heat that soon I would like to start giving the babies cracked corn to help them with the cold during the day. Their pen is getting built and there will be a heat lamp inside the coop but I will still have to bring them in at night.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by