metal feeders

chickenmanno1

In the Brooder
May 18, 2019
I have found that the metal thing on top of the trough to keep chicks out of the feed can injure them. As is the habit of chicks to try to scramble across the top of the feeder, in the process they injure their legs. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I haven't experienced any injuries. If you are talking about the spinning top, it keeps them from roosting and pooping in the feed.
Yes, I know what it does and I may be wrong but it seems I have an injured chick or two shortly after switching from the little red plastic feeders to these metal feeders with the metal whirlygig on top. You know how chicks scramble over the tops of the feeders when startled ,etc. I thought maybe they get injured when doing that, The The whirlygig is a piece of folded sheet metal with a pin on the end to go in the holes on the end of the trough. You have three holes to choose to adjust the height. I also would like to have troughs that have the capability of being raised higher. They have some adjustment but not enough. I think it helps-especially with cornish rocks -to have it high so they have to stretch or stand to reach the feed. I just hang them and raise them by shortening the wires

No I have not. Can you post photos of your feeder? Perhaps there's a flaw in the design?
Hey, I'll try to do that. I am technologically challenged so my have to have wifes help ! The whirlygig on top of feeder is folded sheet metal with pins on the end that go in your choice of three holes in end of trough. Maybe I am wrong but have noticed over the years that I see a chick with an injured leg soon after I switch from the little red plastic feeders with the holes in the lids to these feeders. Don't know who makes them. I probably got them at TSC.

Yes, I know what it does and I may be wrong but it seems I have an injured chick or two shortly after switching from the little red plastic feeders to these metal feeders with the metal whirlygig on top. You know how chicks scramble over the tops of the feeders when startled ,etc. I thought maybe they get injured when doing that, The The whirlygig is a piece of folded sheet metal with a pin on the end to go in the holes on the end of the trough. You have three holes to choose to adjust the height. I also would like to have troughs that have the capability of being raised higher. They have some adjustment but not enough. I think it helps-especially with cornish rocks -to have it high so they have to stretch or stand to reach the feed. I just hang them and raise them by shortening the wires
I used to have one of the metal ones like yours. I now have several of the red plastic ones that have the spinner on top. They can be snapped together in a row. I prefer them as they don't rust. The problem with them is that the plastic pins on the ends can snap off but if you contact your source, they'll send a few extra spinning rods.
I'm not denying that your chicks may have been hurt on them but chicks will scramble over virtually anything that can injure them. Just another hazard.

Back
Top Bottom