Metal Fortress? Is it enough or to much?

I found a pic of a model barn, I'm thinking of building a coop in this general manner. I'd want it to be a little tidier looking although. I'm thinking of a 8'x16' floor plan.

With multiple rooms. One for a storage, brooding area, sink/water access(cleaning stuff and the whole coop) and the other for the main chicken coop. I'm thinking of a gravity fed egg dispenser under the nest. As well as swing away hinges on all the walls for easy cleaning. Also detachable mounts for the roosts and a metal feces pan underneath(surrounded by hardware cloth). I already have a ventilation fan awaiting the top. Surrounded all open areas with hardware cloth and building ledges over the windows to keep rain out. Of course a automatic door for the coop.

I'm sure I forgot some of my plans, so bare with me. What do you think?

Last edited:
I found a pic of a model barn, I'm thinking of building a coop in this general manner. I'd want it to be a little tidier looking although. I'm thinking of a 8'x16' floor plan.

With multiple rooms. One for a storage, brooding area, sink/water access(cleaning stuff and the whole coop) and the other for the main chicken coop. I'm thinking of a gravity fed egg dispenser under the nest. As well as swing away hinges on all the walls for easy cleaning. Also detachable mounts for the roosts and a metal feces pan underneath(surrounded by hardware cloth). I already have a ventilation fan awaiting the top. Surrounded all open areas with hardware cloth and building ledges over the windows to keep rain out. Of course a automatic door for the coop.

I'm sure I forgot some of my plans, so bare with me. What do you think?

It's very cool......I love that roof line, tho it won't look the same proportionately unless you use a square foot print...go 16'x16' ;)

Yea, that increases cost and I'm not sure if I have enough space for that size of a footprint. I could get away with a 8x8, but I wanted the extra room. Now your making me want to just build a new barn and tie the coop into one side. :(

Last edited:
Yea, that increases cost and I'm not sure if I have enough space for that size of a footprint. I could get away with a 8x8, but I wanted the extra room. Now your making me want to just build a new barn and tie the coop into one side.
sad.png
Well, you could do an 8x8 like the pic, then build an single story 8x8 single plane sloped roof lean too off the back.

Last edited:
Yes small metal buildings can get VERY hot......so get the shed and take the roof off and fabricate the cool barn roof to add ventilation! :D

Yes small metal buildings can get VERY hot......so get the shed and take the roof off and fabricate the cool barn roof to add ventilation! :D
Great solution. I hate only saying what's wrong without a solution. Sorry
duc.gif

Back
Top Bottom