Metzers gosling sexing?

pyronanCT

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2022
I’m curious how accurate people have found Metzers sexed goslings. I order 2 females (Buff and a a Toulouse) and one is literally 3 times the size of the other one (Buff is the larger gosling) - I have weighed them a few times. The Toulouse is doing well and steadily growing but from my experience with chicks, usually the larger ones with thicker legs and bigger feet end up being roosters. I’ve contacted Metzers and they feel confident they are both females, based on the band being on the left leg but I know even professions chick sexers make mistakes. Has anyone had this happen with their sexed goslings? Or is it possible one is just a few days older?

I’m curious how accurate people have found Metzers sexed goslings. I order 2 females (Buff and a a Toulouse) and one is literally 3 times the size of the other one (Buff is the larger gosling) - I have weighed them a few times. The Toulouse is doing well and steadily growing but from my experience with chicks, usually the larger ones with thicker legs and bigger feet end up being roosters. I’ve contacted Metzers and they feel confident they are both females, based on the band being on the left leg but I know even professions chick sexers make mistakes. Has anyone had this happen with their sexed goslings? Or is it possible one is just a few days older?
I have gotten correctly sexed birds from Metzers.

Metzer has been accurate with mine so far. Typically Toulouse are a larger breed than buffs so maybe the buff is a bit older.
That's what I'm hoping! Have you ever heard of that happening? They were suppose to have hatched on May 16 but maybe the buff is from a hatch a few days earlier?

That's what I'm hoping! Have you ever heard of that happening? They were suppose to have hatched on May 16 but maybe the buff is from a hatch a few days earlier?
This is new to me, it could also be genetics, maybe you just have a super female? I had a super female “Kiwi,” different breed but she was a confirmed female, she was about as big as her dad, who’s huge. Her parents were/are French Toulouse also from Metzer. She definitly dwarfed her mom and my female Buff at that time, it’s rare but possible.

Back
Top Bottom