Meyer Hatcherie ?

Meyers is just 40 minutes from my farm. Their facility is impeccably clean. Thy are helpful and often have specials in the store. They help the local 4-H kids too. They stock and sell organic feed as well. I originally got my EEs from them. They were all healthy andi was able to pick them up at the hatchery.

I didn't like Meyers cause I lost many chicks the 1st 3 days of having them (I had them from last fall). The ones that are still live to this day, I'm selling them to a livestock auction Monday cause the quality is horrible. I have Black New Jersey Giants and Buff Brahmas hens and they look like bantams and there're full grown "large fowl". I might make good money cause they look young, but looks can be deceiving and people don't know about this.

I bought 4 chicks from Meyer and 3 arrived healthy and have done really well. One chick arrived dead (which they credited me for) but that may have been more due to a delay at our Post Office (hard to say). The 3 girls are now laying almost every day and have great personalities. Roxy was a bit of a runt for awhile and took a long time to get her feathers..but she actually laid first and is now the largest hen in my flock.

Lucy-Barred Rock

Doodle - Black Australorp

Roxy - Columbian Wyandotte

Back before I began purchasing Seramas (which to my knowledge are not sold in hatcheries) I did purchase from Meyer several times. As stated the quality of the birds are as hatched... in other words you pay the same price for a utility bird as you would a show quality bird. But that's with almost all commercial hatcheries. Meyer was one of the first ones that you could only buy a minimum of three chicks instead of the usual 25 set at most hatcheries. Being a small farm, we didn't want a lot of birds so that was why we chose Meyer in the first place. Secondly they were close to us so the birds wouldn't be in the mail long. Lastly they used to sell many breeds that other hatcheries didn't have (now they sell pretty much the same breeds as everyone else to be competitive, I guess) like black East Indies ducks, bantam white Leghorns and tufted Toulouse geese. The only complaint I have is their sexing. They guaranteed 90% accuracy but the last batch I ordered from them before I stopped buying from hatcheries had three roosters out of seven chickens, even though I specifically ordered all pullets.

Back before I began purchasing Seramas (which to my knowledge are not sold in hatcheries) I did purchase from Meyer several times. As stated the quality of the birds are as hatched... in other words you pay the same price for a utility bird as you would a show quality bird. But that's with almost all commercial hatcheries. Meyer was one of the first ones that you could only buy a minimum of three chicks instead of the usual 25 set at most hatcheries. Being a small farm, we didn't want a lot of birds so that was why we chose Meyer in the first place. Secondly they were close to us so the birds wouldn't be in the mail long. Lastly they used to sell many breeds that other hatcheries didn't have (now they sell pretty much the same breeds as everyone else to be competitive, I guess) like black East Indies ducks, bantam white Leghorns and tufted Toulouse geese. The only complaint I have is their sexing. They guaranteed 90% accuracy but the last batch I ordered from them before I stopped buying from hatcheries had three roosters out of seven chickens, even though I specifically ordered all pullets.

Ok, here are some from last year when they were pullets. I'll try to get some current ones today. It's really windy here & they are laying low, but treats always bring them out.

Easter Egger

Another EE

Dominique

Golden Campine

This is the only chick I had a problem with - she was supposed to be a Cuckoo Maran - but the legs are yellow and she has golden feathers on the neck. I actually got 2 of them (gave the other to a friend) and the other one was colored correctly. This one does lay a darkish egg and is very sweet so I think she does have some Maran in her, but obviously something else as well.

Of the 15 chicks I got, all were sexed correctly, the order was received on time and all were healthy from day one.
Shes a golden cuckoo maran i have a whole flock she is perfect to french standers

Ok, I had thought she could be a Golden Cuckoo Maran or at least had some mixed in. Meyer only sells the goldens as part of a Maran mix so someone must have made a mistake when filling my order. Anyway, she is a sweet girl and even went broody - I let her hatch out 2 duck eggs and she was a wonderful Mom. Her hatchlings are now grown, but sleep with the chickens instead of the other ducks.

I live 90 minutes from Meyer, and I buy all my white Leghorns and RSL (Meyer Golden Buffs) there. They offer started pullets for less than $8/bird, which is cheaper than I can raise them myself (costs me $12/bird when you figure cost of bird, shipping, electricity and chick starter). They also are super nice and helpful on the phone, and have always answered all my questions. Their facility is super clean, and the started pullets that I get are floor-raised and very sweet--when I go to pick them up, a worker just wades into the middle of all the chickens and reaches down and picks one up, no running away or freaking out. In fact, my Meyer RSL are calmer than chicks I've raised myself. The RSL that I have that are two are laying literally 6-8 off-the-charts big eggs ever week. And when I say big, I mean way past the top end for Jumbo. Literally larger than duck eggs. The only thing I do NOT like about their started pullets is that they have their beaks clipped, and it's not an option to get some that aren't clipped. I think it looks gross-but the girls free-range just fine and aren't picked on by my hens that do have pointy beaks.

I've also had chicks shipped from Meyer, and they arrived in perfect condition and grew well. None of them are show birds, but you should never expect a show bird from a large hatchery. I did get some very nice, meaty Barred Rocks from Meyer, and Rocks from hatcheries tend to be too slender. I don't think the EEs lay as well as my Murray McMurray EEs, though.

Here's are some Meyer Golden Buff (RSL). They are the red hens with the white in the neck feathers and the tips of the tails.

Last edited:
Quote: I think she may be a Golden Cuckoo Marans hen. See the resemblance?

Yellow legs do occasionally ocur in Gold Cuckoo Marans, so it's nothing extremely uncommon. :D hope this helped. :)

Back
Top Bottom