Meyer Hatchery - 4 of 15 chicks dead

Sorry to hear about your loss!
hit.gif
I just ordered 28 chicks from Meyer this morning. I picked a ship date of March 5, but you have me worried now. I hope mine make it through .
hide.gif

I tracked them down at a sorting facility Wednesday afternoon. All dead. If I had not called they would have been at my local office THURSDAY morning. I have never had priority mail take that long, even cross country. This was only from OH to TN. The local postal people think somebody dropped the ball somewhere, either Meyer or USPS. The package made two stops in OH, passed within 5 miles of us to a sorting facility 100 miles south, passed back within 5 miles of us to a sorting facility 25 miles north, where I picked them up.

Clearly that was a PO mistake and they didn't want to take responsibility. How could it by Meyer's fault they went to a sorting facility 100 miles south of where they should have been? I deal with the USPS all the time shipping items I sell on eBay. I always purchase tracking and it is ridiculous to see the route some of the boxes take; completely by mistake. And unless insurance is purchased, we're all out of luck.
That is just awful when it happens to you I'm sure it doesn't matter whose fault it is, they are gone. I know you must be so sad.
I'm getting my chicks the week of March 11th and will be hoping for some warm temperatures.

I am so worried now, I ordered from Meyers and the delivery is Feb 25th week. I live 4 hours from them. I am so excited but have nightmares that they will be doa. After reading several threads I am really afraid my nightmares are going to come true!

Twig Worley: You were smart to order 28 chicks. With what I've been reading, that's a safe number, even in cold weather. Good luck!

Mimi14: I hope your chicks are ok too. Don't let my story scare you too much - surely most Meyer chicks arrive safely, or they wouldn't ship in winter?

I'm still nursing my last sick chick, but wonder if it would be more humane to just let her go. She won't eat or drink on her own, and looks worse than yesterday, won't even open her eyes. I've been dipping her beak alternately in electrolyte water and watered down hard boiled egg yolk, I keep hoping that she'll improve, but it doesn't look like it. Can such a young chick suddenly start to eat and drink on her own? I'd really like to have my last chick burial and move on from this.

Fair or not, this experience has really soured my opinion of Meyer Hatchery. I'm trying not to be overly dramatic about it, but watching all these chicks die one by one is really awful. At least my remaining chicks seem to have perked up from yesterday, so hopefully it'll just (just!) be the six. Goodness.

I had a problem with the post office last year. They called when the chicks came in. But I was at work. When I got home and went over to the post office to pick them up the lady working said I put then in the back to keep them cool. Thank God it wasn't real cold. I lost one that was weak

I ordered 15 chicks from Meyer's, hatched 2/11/13 and I was very worried, even though they were coming to me in California, not blizzard territory. The nights here have been cold. At the last minute, I considered adding to the order, but didn't. They arrived at my post office yesterday mid-morning. One DOA and the other 14 are very lively and seem healthy. I was sad to have lost one but I had fears of worse, so I'm OK with it.

I ordered 14 assorted pullets and one rooster, and I have a hunch that the rooster is the one that didn't survive, based on the color of the chick and the size, but I won't know for several weeks if that is the case. Or, for that matter, whether they will all be girls. I'm just happy that my 14 seem to be thriving, at least so far. I have only bought chicks at the feed store before and have never lost a chick, so hopefully these will all reach happy maturity.

So sorry :(. If u decide to order more in the future , I live in NY and ordered 6 from Cackle. It was very cold. They shipped from Cackle in Missouri on Monday of last week and arrived Wednesday of last week. All were ok and are doing well.

Sorry to hear about your loss!:hit    I just ordered 28 chicks from Meyer this morning. I picked a ship date of March 5, but you have me worried now. I hope mine make it through .:oops:

Please post back here when your chicks arrive because I have some coming march 12th and after reading all of this I'm starting to worry too
Good luck every one and I'm sorry for your losses

Clearly that was a PO mistake and they didn't want to take responsibility. How could it by Meyer's fault they went to a sorting facility 100 miles south of where they should have been? I deal with the USPS all the time shipping items I sell on eBay. I always purchase tracking and it is ridiculous to see the route some of the boxes take; completely by mistake. And unless insurance is purchased, we're all out of luck.
That is just awful when it happens to you I'm sure it doesn't matter whose fault it is, they are gone. I know you must be so sad.
 I'm getting my chicks the week of March 11th and will be hoping for some warm temperatures. 

We are getting chicks the same week. I'm expecting 30 plus one of the Meyer meal makers

Aargh, I ordered 15 from my pet chicken and would have thought twice if I saw this first :( I'm in Arizona so the fact that it is cold other places sometimes slips my mind. We are cold at night, but not too bad and I thought 15 would be fine. I've lost 5 so far and 2 more are looking rough.

Back
Top Bottom