Meyer Hatchery - 4 of 15 chicks dead

jbs

Songster
8 Years
May 23, 2011
Maryland
I've read a few recent threads about dead chicks from Meyer, but wasn't THAT concerned as I had no problem with my Meyer chicks a year and a half ago, and the weather isn't horribly cold this week - I actually place my order last minute because the forecast for this week was pretty mild. But I picked up my shipment at the post office this morning and three chicks of 15 were dead. It's been five hours and there are three more chicks that I'm still concerned about, as they're lethargic, not eating and drinking like the other chicks. I've got electrolytes in their water and keep dipping their beaks in. Two of them are drinking this way, but with the third it seems like I'm drowning her, so I may just let her go.

I dug a hole to bury the dead chicks, but I'm holding off on chick burial until I see if the others are going to make it. Three dead chicks out of fifteen is bad enough, 4-6 is horrible. I don't know if Meyer gave me a batch of weak chicks or if someone at the post office left the box out on a loading dock overnight, but this is pretty heartbreaking.

The box was shipped with a heat pack, it shipped on Monday and arrived at my post office by Wednesday morning. I called Meyer this morning and the customer service person told me to wait the 48 hours to see if any other chicks die. Meyer will either credit me for the dead birds or ship new ones out - but there's a minimum of 15 so I'd just get credit for however many birds from my current batch die. Neither is a very good option - I'm not sure I can handle another 15 chicks, and the $2-$4 chick refund doesn't mean a whole lot to me. I'll think twice before ordering chicks in the winter. I chose Meyer because they're not too far from me in MD, but if I order chicks thru the mail again, I may opt for a different hatchery next time.

I just checked the brooder and the weakest chick is dead, so four dead of 15, which is pretty awful. I just hope it doesn't get any worse.

The local chicken shop that I got my babies from ordered their chicks from Meyer. They ordered a lot, and monitored the delivery so it wasn't a question of too few chicks or too slow of a delivery. All of the blue Marans died and so did a few partridges. I think Meyer is the issue!
I assume you mean the package was monitored through tracking info. Just because it was a short trip and they know there were no delays doesn't mean it wasn't incredibly cold or the package wasn't mishandled either intentionally or unintentionally.

No hatchery in existence has 100% survival rates, and considering they send out thousands (millions?) of chicks a year, it would be literally impossible for them to. Sadly, it's also a survival of the fittest thing. Not every chicken lives to maturity even when raised in the most ideal setting possible.

Like I said, I have no opinion of Meyer one way or another, but people always blame the hatchery for losses. Why would a hatchery intentionally send out weak/sick/diseased chicks?

I'm so sorry for your losses... I ordered 10 chicks from Meyer hatchery, and I chose a May shipment for this reason. It's just far too cold to be ordering chicks now. Especially considering their minimum is fifteen at one of the coldest times of year. I really hope you don't lose any more... :(

I dip all my newbies beaks in yolk water. if one seems weak I also like having those hand warming packets on hand. shocky chicks need to be ex warm. some one said if you put a sock over their backs as they sleep the think it is a wing.

Thanks for the support guys! 3 am here and just got the chicks settled in. There were 14 DOA, 2 died in my hands as I tried to revive them with sugar water on the way home, and 7 are in a "hospital" brooder and I'm giving them water frequently so hopefully they will make it. This is out of 31.

The healthy ones

The hospital chicks

It's a miracle that ANY survived! Wow, to still hear chirping after all that. So sad about the losses, though. I was picturing opening a box with 14 dead chicks and I just about freaked out thinking about it! Right now, this very minute, I have decided to NEVER get chicks through the mail. If I can't get them at Meyers (2 hour drive), then it will have to be a ROAD TRIP to wherever!!! Also tooling around with the idea of incubating. Never, never, never, do I want to open a box with dead chicks. Never.
I'm with you.... Never

Oh I've been using the yolk water! And feed mixed with water. And sugar water. Cause the weak ones won't eat anything solid. Thanks for all the kind words. I'm hoping to get my money back and do not think I will be getting shipped chicks ever again

I'm a total newbie, and only ordered one flock from Meyer last July, and all 10 arrived healthy, perky and sound. All survived and flourished. I think with all the major hatcheries you will find people who have had success and people who have had horror stories. We all want to get our day olds from healthy facilities with excellent practices and histories of following safe guidelines to cleanliness, disease prevention and hopefully good examples of the breeds we so desire. Facts are, as we all know, day olds are fragile little things, and being bounced around in a box traveling great distances is just not what nature intended for these little peeps, I think it's a miracle that we all get any to arrive alive! I had a mis sexed roo out of my all female order from Meyer, and yes, when I called customer service to let them know of my dismay, I was a bit disillusioned with the $2.47 refund that is waiting for me in my account should I ever order from them again, (which I would gladly do), but at least they were courteous, and responded to my issue. I think you rate companies by their customer service response, and also I liked the videos of the facilities at Meyer, very clean and birds look healthy.

I know all this chicken stuff is very expensive, but when buying chicks to be sent via shipping, I think that one should highly consider saving their pennies a bit more for the overnight option. Especially in unconventional months of severe winter and summer. I did this with my order, and it made all the difference I believe in the condition of my chicks. Did I Iike forking over the extra $38 dollars for the option, but it was just a bit of piece of mind for me since I had my little 9 year old daughter right next to me when I opened that box... I wanted to increase my chances as much as possible with something that is so out of our control.

Sorry to everyone who had issues, and good luck to those in the future with shipments of these little cuties.

MB

Back
Top Bottom