Meyer Hatchery - 4 of 15 chicks dead

I've ordered from Meyer multiple times and always been happy. I've never had a chick DOA but, I did have one die the 2nd day and they replaced it at no charge..and gave me a couple extra to help keep her warm.   I think your losses  may have more to do with the time of year (cold) than anything.

Me too. I ordered 25 and got 28. They traveled all the way to mississippi and they were all alive.

Wow. So sorry for your loss. I got chicks in late October from my pet chicken and lost 5 or 6 out of 15. They did reimburse me, but that isn't the point. Three were dead in the box. I think it must be the weather, although I lost a couple from Murray McMurray last March too.

I have since learned that we can have them sent "General Delivery," with our name on it of course, and address it to our main post office, where all mail and packages come into, then stay overnight to be sorted and shipped to our local post office the following day. That way, the chicks do not sit another night at the post office. Sometimes they will come in at 1:00 in the morning, and the post office will call you, so you can get them right away.

I have some coming from Meyer hatchery, but don't know when yet. This will be my first time picking them up from my main post office, 45 minutes away. Hopefully, that will help cut my loses.

Oh I've been using the yolk water! And feed mixed with water. And sugar water. Cause the weak ones won't eat anything solid. Thanks for all the kind words. I'm hoping to get my money back and do not think I will be getting shipped chicks ever again

Oh I've been using the yolk water! And feed mixed with water. And sugar water. Cause the weak ones won't eat anything solid. Thanks for all the kind words. I'm hoping to get my money back and do not think I will be getting shipped chicks ever again
I picked up my chicks from Meyers feb 11, one of the Blue Splash Marans seams to have been a runt. I feed it with an eye dropper for two days, being surprized every time I went back to the box that it was still alive. Her name is now Miracle! She is about 1/3 the size of the rest which all came from the same hatching. Still there are times watching her that I am surprized. She still sleeps under the Eco Brooder. So sorry for the stress you are going through Debs55, I understand and will keep you and your chicks in my prayers.

Hang in there deb. youre doing everything you can. pretty nice abt dad and bf checking in on chicks

Oh yeah! My boyfriend loves them just as much as I do. He came straight to my house after school and stayed with them alone until I got home and then stayed until almost 10. These little guys have definatly gotten good treatment. Right now I have 11 in the "healthy" bin and 2 in the hospital. To be honest none of them look especially good

I'm glad I came here to post about it. It's been nice getting encouragement from all of y'all

I think using an eye dropper with electrolyte solution I ordered from meyer is what saved my weak chick. I just gave her a few drops every 20 minutes for a few hours and she came around by the next day

Also a product called Nutri Drench for poultry. Life saver! I read about it here on BYC and ordered it from eBay. Maybe your local feed store carries it? It is a must have in everyone's chicken emergency kit.
I'm so hoping the little ones you have left make it!!

Back
Top Bottom