Meyer Hatchery - 4 of 15 chicks dead

After 3 seperate phone calls with 2 different people at the PO I was told they were not on the 6 pm truck. I've almost decided that I will most definatly open a box of dead chicks when I finally get them. If I ever get them

I odered my chicks from Meyer Hatchery and drove to pick them up, I live approx 2 hours away but chose to pick up as opposed to having them shipped. I had excellent service from them. When researching where to get my chicks (I too, wanted chicks in January) it seemed like I found several hatcheries. Is it really necessary for so many people to have chicks mailed to them- are there really no hatcheries within driving distance? These stories are so sad, I can't imagine these poor things traveling through the postal system-and that is where the problem stems from. Anyway, my experience was good, Meyer did a great job and all of my chicks are thriving..2 light brahma, 2 RIR, 2 barred rock, 1 golden comet, 1 buff orp. Good luck to all of you awaiting your chicks.

I don't know what else I can do at this point. I feel so bad for them
Sending you hugs... I can imagine how sad you are for them. The PO can be so frustrating and we all feel so helpless when things like this happen.
hugs.gif

Is it really necessary for so many people to have chicks mailed to them- are there really no hatcheries within driving distance?
ummm, yes, there are countless people without a hatchery near them. Me for example.
I chose Meyer because they were the closest at 7+ hours away. I didn't think a 14+ hour road trip was really possible considering the cost of gas, overnight hotel accommodations, food etc. Trust me, many of us would have loved to make a 2 hour drive for our chicks but it's not possible.

Ok 12:22 am and I just got the call that the chicks are in the next town over. I'm on the way to get them now. The worker said they were making noise. I've got water and feed with me. Will update when I get them

I had a recent tip from a friend recommending the use of heating pads and extra warmth to get a "shocked" chick perked up. Between doing that and frequent dips/drinks of water hopefully you can help them thrive after this rough trip. Best of luck to you and your babies!!

Thanks for the support guys! 3 am here and just got the chicks settled in. There were 14 DOA, 2 died in my hands as I tried to revive them with sugar water on the way home, and 7 are in a "hospital" brooder and I'm giving them water frequently so hopefully they will make it. This is out of 31.

The healthy ones

The hospital chicks

Back
Top Bottom