Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

Wow, that does sound a lot faster! I may have to go on the computer tomorrow and try that! Thank you so much for the tip! And info!

I hope maybe it means they will start laying sooner and lay a lot. :) I actually just sort of randomly wanted chickens again (I've wanted them for years but go through periods where I want them, want to wait, want them again, etc.) except that this time I finally actually ordered them. :p but then I read an article or some blurb right after that mentioned what you said and how the common time for chicks is spring but that a lot of experienced people will get them in the fall for that exact reason whereas spring chicks start laying right when it gets dark and cold, etc. Etc. So I'm hoping it's true and we get lots of eggs :D

Yours look great! How did you get to pick yours? You picked them up in person at the store I'm guessing? I just looked through all 4 pages of that link posted above and there does seem to be a bit more variety than I had thought but it also seems like several chicks either looked identical to chicks in previous groups (each page is a different set of chicks) or just like their hatch mates. Like there were different colors but also several common colors and patterns it seems. Sooo. I'm hoping I get a different looking one. But if not it will be okay and maybe will still be different, just subtle like being lighter or something.

They're such a cute breed.

I love the genetics. :D there's so many cool colors and patterns both in EEs and other breeds (Orpingtons have some awesome colors as can Wyandottes) and EEs especially seem to be a mish mash sometimes. like going through that site, some of the birds wound up with such interesting colors or looked like someone just threw several patterns on them. Like they'd have a lighter neck or different lacing, completely different lacing and color on the chest, back different, different tail etc., like this one was literally 4 completely different looking colors and patterns and not really blended. AND. Often chicks will look one way then grow up completely different. Or will look the same as a sibling then wind up completely different or vice versa (looking different then the same). It's all so interesting to me. I'm sure in EEs it's the mixed heritage but still so interesting. And it seems to me like even though they may be different colors or shades or patterns and easy to tell apart, there are certain patterns and colors that are common for the breed, even if two birds may be different variations of one. It's interesting. I think I'd like to eventually add more and see the difference in them. It's so much fun having a sort of unpredictable bird and not knowing whereas pure breds you know exactly what to expect.

Wow, that does sound a lot faster! I may have to go on the computer tomorrow and try that! Thank you so much for the tip! And info! You're welcome.
smile.png
I've found that method helpful for many threads in this forum, since many of them are very lengthy. Like if I want to see specific types of coops.

I read an article or some blurb right after that mentioned what you said and how the common time for chicks is spring but that a lot of experienced people will get them in the fall for that exact reason We may have read the same article. I picked up some chicken magazine at Tractor Supply the other day.

Yours look great! How did you get to pick yours? I am fortunate that here in Indianapolis, there is a feed store (more like an urban farming boutique) that happens to order their chicks from Meyer, and you can check their Facebook page to see what breeds they are getting in every week. You can also call them and ask them to add specific breeds you want to their order (if Meyer has that breed that week). So then when you go in and pick them up, you get to select which particular chicks you like out of their bins.

I somehow never thought of it,I guess maybe cause I'm usually on mobile.

We may have! I read mine online but now that you mention it, it.may have been on TSC's website!

Oh wow, that's awesome! Our local one gets chicks too (I think a lot do?) but I have no idea where they're from. Could even be local. I'll have to ask. The manager is a family friend so that's good. We've never really been in there though because we don't have the chicks yet

Ahhh they sound awesome!! Ours will be a similar age too then, yours will be just under 2 weeks older I think. Mine should arrive October 27-29 (October 26th hatch date). :D are Wyandottes and SS available again? When I ordered mine (September 18th) they weren't and still weren't when I keep checking back haha

I'm getting similar breeds to you but not all the same.

I'm getting

2 Barred Rock
2 Black Australorp
2 Buff Orpington
2 Easter Egger
And then 1 of the Meyer Meal Maker (the free chick, idk the breed)

Also all female, hopefully.

I wanted a Wyandotte or two (I love BLRW, SLW, and GLW but Columbian is cool too and I hear there's even more colors, just not at hatcheries, same for Orps and Australorps. One day I'll own every color xD) and a Speckled Sussex but again they weren't available. :( Next year maybe.

Ahhh they sound awesome!! Ours will be a similar age too then, yours will be just under 2 weeks older I think. Mine should arrive October 27-29 (October 26th hatch date). :D are Wyandottes and SS available again? When I ordered mine (September 18th) they weren't and still weren't when I keep checking back haha

I'm getting similar breeds to you but not all the same.

I'm getting

2 Barred Rock
2 Black Australorp
2 Buff Orpington
2 Easter Egger
And then 1 of the Meyer Meal Maker (the free chick, idk the breed)

Also all female, hopefully.

I wanted a Wyandotte or two (I love BLRW, SLW, and GLW but Columbian is cool too and I hear there's even more colors, just not at hatcheries, same for Orps and Australorps. One day I'll own every color xD) and a Speckled Sussex but again they weren't available. :( Next year maybe.

I have been checking Meyers everyday and just happened to find 2 wyandottes and a ss. Probably from a canceled order. I also added
2 cuckoo Marans
2 white rocks
2 partridge rocks
2 salmon faverolle

I'm not sure if any of my incubator eggs are gonna hatch so I ordered a few more to ensure I have a good supply of eggs next year.

I have been checking Meyers everyday and just happened to find 2 wyandottes and a ss. Probably from a canceled order. I also added
2 cuckoo Marans
2 white rocks
2 partridge rocks
2 salmon faverolle

I'm not sure if any of my incubator eggs are gonna hatch so I ordered a few more to ensure I have a good supply of eggs next year.

Oh wow well that's awesome!! :D

Back
Top Bottom