Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

Thanks!
big_smile.png
Sorry again that it didn't work out for you or your mother to take them.
I can't keep track of each individual chicken either. It's way too much work! The only chicken I keep track of is Sunni. The rest I keep track of the eggs I get daily.

Do you know which breeds you will get in the Spring? If the city council decides to allow backyard chickens, I will definitely be ordering from Meyer again next year some time. I'm not sure which breeds I'll get though. I really want some bantams, but I don't want to risk getting boys. Maybe I'll get them from MyPetChicken. They would still be from Meyer that way.
wink.png

We are getting a silkie for sure, my daughter wants a porcelain d'uccle, and I am thinking about a bantam cochin but that could change. Maybe a bantam EE.
We will probably order eggs from BYC members because my daughter wants a color of silkie that isn't standard.

It is 4$ a bantam for straight run for a female bantam it's 10$ and mpc uses Meyer because they don't have their own hatchery.

MPC actually orders from a couple different hatcheries. They have a few breeds that Meyer doesn't carry.

Quote:
Here are the Barnevelder pics I promised:

From Meyer Hatchery - Dutchess - almost 32 wks old

My broody hen hatched these 2 girls, Princess & Baby - eggs from a local farmer - 26 wks old

Another broody hatched this little girl, Lucy, is a mix - Barnevelder Mama/Partridge Rock Daddy - 15wks old

And last is her brother Rocky who is a nice boy so far: He is the same mix as Lucy.

So far I am happy with the breed. I don't think they will ever be lap chickens like my Orpingtons, and the ones raised by the broodies are shyer than the hatchery one which I guess is because the Mamas warned them to keep their distance. They are coming around though, snacks work wonders.

Quote:
I will try and take some pics this weekend. I recieved one female barnvelder from Meyers, she is pretty.I also have a roo from a breeder, was hoping he was going to be a pullet but I was thinking about hatching some of there eggs out next spring.
I would love to see a pic!!!
Here are the Barnevelder pics I promised: From Meyer Hatchery - Dutchess - almost 32 wks old My broody hen hatched these 2 girls, Princess & Baby - eggs from a local farmer - 26 wks old Another broody hatched this little girl, Lucy, is a mix - Barnevelder Mama/Partridge Rock Daddy - 15wks old And last is her brother Rocky who is a nice boy so far: He is the same mix as Lucy. So far I am happy with the breed. I don't think they will ever be lap chickens like my Orpingtons, and the ones raised by the broodies are shyer than the hatchery one which I guess is because the Mamas warned them to keep their distance. They are coming around though, snacks work wonders.
Oh Duchess is beautiful!! So are the little ones! I love the look of the barnevelders!!

My broody hen hatched these 2 girls, Princess & Baby - eggs from a local farmer - 26 wks old

Another broody hatched this little girl, Lucy, is a mix - Barnevelder Mama/Partridge Rock Daddy - 15wks old

And last is her brother Rocky who is a nice boy so far: He is the same mix as Lucy.

So far I am happy with the breed. I don't think they will ever be lap chickens like my Orpingtons, and the ones raised by the broodies are shyer than the hatchery one which I guess is because the Mamas warned them to keep their distance. They are coming around though, snacks work wonders.
They all have such pretty coloring. I wonder what the rooster will look like when he is grown.

They all have such pretty coloring. I wonder what the rooster will look like when he is grown.
Thank you. In the sunlight, they have a greenish sheen on their feathers. I really do love the coloring. I hope we can keep the Roo - we don't currently have one and so we decided if he is nice and doesn't crow 24hrs a day we will give it a try. He has a 1/2 brother though who is an Australorp mix - pure black with red feathers coming in around his neck. Right now they are getting along but realize I will need to rehome one of they eventually.

They sure are pretty! Is your Meyer girl laying? What do her eggs look like, very dark?

MsChickenMomma- I'm so glad you found a place for your whole flock and that you can visit them! Maybe if your town approves them you'll be able to get a few of your favorites? Are you still planning on keeping the 2 in the house?

Does anyone know if the size of the eggs I'm getting now is pretty much full size or will they still get a bit larger as they get older? My girls are 8 months old (born March 10) They just seem kinda small still even my BA's and RIR are just med to large weight. Just curious.

@NotableNancy Maybe. :) Most likely not though. They will be free ranged all the time where they are going, and I think they would be really unhappy if I took them to live in the city. :) I'm thinking that if I can get chickens, I will just start fresh.

We are still planning on keeping Sunni and Henny in the house. Henny won't wear a diaper and wander the house like Sunni does, but she will have a nice coop in the basement at the new house.

It takes my girls a long time to start laying normal sized eggs. Annie, Alice, and Ellie are the only ones who lay normal sized eggs. The other girls all lay small eggs. Everyone is laying now except Amber the EE. They will all be 28 weeks old tomorrow. I'm really hoping that she starts laying before she goes to her new home. I really want to know what color she'll lay! The space between her pelvic bones is still only one finger, so I don't think she'll be laying for a while yet.

Back
Top Bottom