Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

Well, we got the chickens to their new house today. I spent all morning cleaning out the nest boxes, moving the feeders to the tiny side of the coop, and seperating the chickens I was keeping from the ones that I wasn't. We put my rooster and 3 hens in a small dog cage, and the other 11 went in an old antique chicken crate. I was only intending to keep 7 chickens (not counting Sunni), but one of my year old girls is molting, and while they were in that crate the girls started pulling out a whole bunch of her brand new feathers. So I pulled her out and stuck her in the coop. She probably would have loved to go with, but she would have arrived bare, bloody, and miserable. So she's staying here. She's a Buff Orpington/Rhode Island Red mix.

I took the chickens to their new home myself, and they seemed to love it right away. Lizzie and Lucy (the Campines) were the first ones out of the crate, and they immediately started exploring our friends barn. I'm not quite so disappointed that I couldn't keep them, now that I got to see how happy they already were there in that first 5 minutes.

The chickens that I kept are really confused. They were hanging around me all day just chattering away as if to say, "Mommy, where'd the other girls go?" They are also upset that they are now confined to a much smaller coop than they are used to having. I let them outside for 15 minutes before their bed time, and they enjoyed it until they remembered that there used to be hawks out there (they are still there too). Then they didn't want to be out anymore. So I don't think they'll be going outside again until we move and I can build them a nice coop with a cute run attached to it. Does anyone have some pictures of the inside and outsides of your coop? I am looking for some ideas for how I'm going to build mine in the Spring.

I was gone most of the day today, so Sunni was babysat by my mom while I was away. I walked into the house after I got home and she came racing up to me and was chattering like crazy. That little chicken is crazy about me. My mom said that she's an entirely different chicken when I'm not there. If I'm not there she's calm and quiet, and she doesn't walk around much. When I'm there she is constantly making some kind of noise, follows me everywhere, and loves exploring the house. If that doesn't proove she loves me, I don't know what will. ;) Members of my extended family who are convinced that chickens are only meant to be on the table, absolutely love her. She's such a little character though! I wish I had some way to take videos. Then I would show you what she does when I stand across the house and say, "here chick chick chick!!" She'll come running full speed with her head down, and her legs way up. It is the cutest thing ever. :love

(Oh boy, sorry for rambling on here!! Tomorrow I promise you all that I will get some pictures of my Meyer girls posted. I know I haven't posted any it what feels like forever.)

Last edited:
0.jpg

8 weeks old

Easter Egger (Meriweather the blue fairy godmother) on the Left and Welsummer (no name yet) front and center 8 weeks

Easter Egger (Meriweather) on the left, Meal Maker (Fiona) (we think she is a Rhode Island Red) on the back left.

This is Goldielocks, she is a Buff Orphington 8 weeks old

In the back center you can see the pretty silver blue feathers on my Easter Egger (Meriweather) she is 8 weeks old. They are much more vibrant and stunning in person.

Yes it was clipped. my four started pullets I rcd in April were also. I believe Meyer clips all their started beaks. Only the chicks don't get clipped. I haven't had any issues as far as eating or drinking with it.

I took some pictures of my girls today. They are 28 weeks and 4 days old. I now have just seven chickens from Meyer. I no longer have the Campines. I did take some pictures of them the day before they went to their new home though. (sorry some of these pictures have such bad quality. It's so hard to get good pictures of them when they're in the coop. My camera has trouble with the lighting in there).

Lucy (left) and Lizzie (right). I'm really sad that I couldn't keep these two...
sad.png
They like their new home though.

Ellie - (Easter Egger.) (I couldn't get a picture of her face. She didn't want to hold still for the camera.)

Amber - (Easter Egger) (She looks grumpy, but she really isn't. She just has a grumpy resting face.
wink.png
)

Annie - (White Leghorn)

Alice - (White Leghorn)

Lilly - (Black Australorp) Her comb is still so little, but her wattles are getting huge. I'm hoping her comb catches up soon. Lilly has always seemed to grow much slower than other Australorps I have seen.

Daffodil - (Buff Orpington)

and Sunni - (Buff Orpington)

These two aren't Meyer girls, but they are my other two chickens that I decided to keep.

Henny - (New Hampshire Red) She's my 5 and a half year old, nearly blind special needs hen.

Chicken Little - (Buff Orpington/Rhode Island Red mix) She is going through a rapid molt, so she looks pretty bad right now. Poor girl.

This is what she looks like when she's not missing over half of her feathers.
lol.png

Last edited:
My first eggit was dirty found under perch next to duck egg

Congrats!!
highfive.gif

0.jpg

8 weeks old

Easter Egger (Meriweather the blue fairy godmother) on the Left and Welsummer (no name yet) front and center 8 weeks

Easter Egger (Meriweather) on the left, Meal Maker (Fiona) (we think she is a Rhode Island Red) on the back left.

This is Goldielocks, she is a Buff Orphington 8 weeks old

In the back center you can see the pretty silver blue feathers on my Easter Egger (Meriweather) she is 8 weeks old. They are much more vibrant and stunning in person.

Beautiful girls! I love Goldielocks. She is so pretty.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom