Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

Hi. I just got my babies this week and thought I'd post pictures of the girls :D

Blue Ameraucana (one splash, one blue)
View attachment 1166454

Black Australops
View attachment 1166455

Blue Copper Marans
View attachment 1166462

Barred Rocks
View attachment 1166464

Easter Eggers
View attachment 1166468

Cream Legbar
View attachment 1166471

Salmon Faverolles
View attachment 1166472

Welsummers
View attachment 1166477

"Blue" Orpingtons
View attachment 1166480

The "blue" Orpingtons was a disappointment. I initially started the order because Meyer had sexed Blue Orps. I already have a black Orp hen, so I even ordered two to better my odds of getting a blue. Now I have three black Orps and still no blue pullet/hen.

All the chicks are healthy and active and that's the important thing, but I wish I would have gotten one blue Orp. It's going to be fun watching these girls grow up!

I get it. I was going to get a blue orp, but I ended up getting a lav orp because I didn't want a bunch of chickens that were the same color. I was really hoping I would get a blue am because I had other black and splash chicks. I ended up getting a splash am, but that's okay because they were all healthy, and she did end up being super cute. So I don't have any blue hens in my flock, but I can always buy some locally if I wanted to add them later.

I promised I would update with pics, so, here it goes...

My Buff Orpington and MMM (Thinking Golden Buff now). Both are very sweet and the first to approach when I enter their pen.
View attachment 1137376

My Black-based and Blue-based Easter Eggers. The blue-based is super sweet, but I am a little worried about the black-based as it appears to have 3 rows of peas which can often mean roo. I guess time will tell.
View attachment 1137383

My Exchequer Leghorn and Appenzeller Spitzhauben. The Leghorn is also sweet but starting to jump on me... putting an end to that now. I do love the spots on her legs though. As a person whose grandfather raised Dalmations and who has owned several Dalmations myself, I am loving the spots that are coming in on my Appenzeller.
View attachment 1137384

My Black Copper Marans. The one started developing a pretty large and pink comb right away but I'm not worried about her much anymore.
View attachment 1137386
My Blue and Splash Marans. The Blue is quite friendly. Hoping the splash starts showing more spotting soon. She has an interesting comb which looks like it has a wart at the base.
View attachment 1137388

I think your splash maran should have more splash spots soon. My splash maran and splash Am only had a few splotches and now they are all over. They make 20 weeks on Monday. Same with my black copper maran, it only had black and now has a beautiful copper neck. My ex leghorn's feathers also got more speckled. My EE also has a more intricate pattern on her feathers, instead of just colorful splotches.

I think your splash maran should have more splash spots soon. My splash maran and splash Am only had a few splotches and now they are all over. They make 20 weeks on Monday. Same with my black copper maran, it only had black and now has a beautiful copper neck. My ex leghorn's feathers also got more speckled. My EE also has a more intricate pattern on her feathers, instead of just colorful splotches.

You are correct! My birds are now 16 weeks old and I recently noticed that my splash is getting many more spots, both on her body, as well as her head.

I'm loving my Ex Leghorn too. She's smaller than some of the others, but she is a real sweetheart and I love her coloring and spotted legs.

Anxiously awaiting my first eggs from this batch, but guessing it will be another month or so.
your OE is so cute! The pattern and color looks just like mine, but mine doesn't have much or any crest

Thanks! I love that she has that little crest, I just wish she wasn't so stand-offish. I'll just have to keep working with her in hopes that she comes around.

You are correct! My birds are now 16 weeks old and I recently noticed that my splash is getting many more spots, both on her body, as well as her head.

I'm loving my Ex Leghorn too. She's smaller than some of the others, but she is a real sweetheart and I love her coloring and spotted legs.

Anxiously awaiting my first eggs from this batch, but guessing it will be another month or so.

Thanks! I love that she has that little crest, I just wish she wasn't so stand-offish. I'll just have to keep working with her in hopes that she comes around.

I kinda wish my OE had a crest haha but that's okay :) she is still cute.

My ex leghorn is the only one of my chickens that just lets me pick her up and tote her around while checking on the other chickens. The other ones will let me pick them up, but I'll usually need food for them to let me carry them. My ex leghorn actually used to be kind of a bully to the bigger ones, even though she was way tinier. She seems like she chilled out a little idk maybe one of the bigger birds finally put her in her place. I named her Cruella when she was making trouble, but now I just call her Ella.

View attachment 1184638 One of my EEs ended up being male, and I was able to find it a good home. I got my first eggs today from 3 chickens! They make 20 weeks on Monday. I'm pretty sure it is not the EE, Blue Am, OE, or Ex Leghorn because they are not supposed to lay brown eggs. Of the remaining 10 chickens, I have no idea which ones are laying. I suspect my golden buff might be one of them, but I'm not sure.

Any luck figuring out which of your birds have started laying? Do any of the brown egg laying breeds have noticeably redder combs?

Is your golden buff from Meyer pretty big? Mine is the biggest of the bunch now so I am thinking she may be one of my first to lay.

Any luck figuring out which of your birds have started laying? Do any of the brown egg laying breeds have noticeably redder combs?

Is your golden buff from Meyer pretty big? Mine is the biggest of the bunch now so I am thinking she may be one of my first to lay.

I'm 99% sure the golden buff because I saw her in the nesting box and my family members caught her sitting on an egg. I found a barred rock feather with two of the eggs, so she could be one too. I have no idea who the third is. My GB, barred rock, lav orp, and RIR are prob the biggest. My EE, blue splash Ameraucana, ex leghorn are prob the smallest.

What chicken do you have?
Funny thing is my EE was actually really huge when I first got her. She was significantly bigger than all the others. Now she is probably around the third smallest of 14.

Haha I wouldn't let my family eat them until I took pictures of them

Attachments

• IMG_20171112_105056874_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20171112_105056874_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    530.1 KB · Views: 6
Thought I'd post a quick update on my girls. They will be 6 weeks old tomorrow - all 16 are doing well. My favorite right now is my Cream Legbar, Dora. She is calm and curious, and her unique looks are icing on the cake :D. She likes to climb up on my shoulder and just hang out. When I need to catch her, like when I'm moving them outside for the day, she doesn't panic when caught. At this point, I'd definitely get another.

The Marans grow faster than the other chicks. They are easily the biggest in the group! You'd think they were a couple of weeks older! They are pretty calm, but at this point, aren't into people - they aren't flighty, just not sociable.

The Ameracuanas win the cutest chickens award at this stage. Both are pretty food motivated, but my splash, Clair, is a food fiend. She's not one to jump in your hands or lap...unless you have scratch (chick crack with this group :lau) then she has no fear and will be sitting in you hand to get the best position. I'm going to have to keep an eye on that one as she gets bigger that she doesn't become a food bully.

It will be a few weeks yet before I know if there are any cockerels in the mix. I've got my eye on a couple of them, including one of the Welsummers.

Here's a pic of Dora:
IMG_9845 (4).jpg

Back
Top Bottom