Meyer Hatchery Shipping Error

I just recieved my 3 chicks today from Meyer. I was told they were going to be shipped via Express mail, but when I looked at the package tracking and it said they were being shipped priority. This concerned me and I e-mailed Meyer Hatchery and they said that it was their fault that my chicks were shipped the wrong method. They all arivved alive and peeping. I'm just thankful we are in a warm spell here in Minnesota.

This warm spell is great isn't it? It sure has kicked up egg production for me too!

Welcome to backyard chickens!

Congrats Night-Hawk!!!
jumpy.gif

We are happy to report the OP received the chicks and they are alive and healthy! He's going to keep us updated.

The glitch in our system has been addressed. All orders have been reviewed and updated. We appreciate the OP bringing this to our attention! Sometimes you don't know somethings broke until it's pointed out.

Chickens do great in MN. We are actually a hot bed of poultry production here, with Jennie-O and Gold-n-Plump both having huge operations in our area.

In winter I use a galvanized waterer on a heated base and limit access to the outdoors. Body heat and a brooder lamp do the rest. I also try to stay with pea combed birds such as Buckeyes.

Worst case though, the birds might end up with "dubbed" combs in the spring due to frostbite, but it doesn't seem to cause them any problems. I have raised many OEGB/s in the past with no problems.

Last year I was getting over 20 eggs a day from a flock of 25 Buckeyes and Buff Orpingtons right through the worst of a Roseau County winter. I have since moved south to enjoy balmier weather. :)

Well, I am happy to report that my three chicks arrived this morning and seem to be in fine shape. The heat pack was cool to the touch…..but I think I was lucky as its been in the mid 60's here in NY.

The problem with the shipping was that if you placed your order online for a small number of chicks, they charged for overnight shipping, but actually shipped 2-3 day Priority mail which costs less. This was apparently a programming error for who knows how long. I would advise any one who ordered a small batch online as I did to check that you were not overcharged for shipping. I don't know if the problem was fixed yet.

I'll try to post some photos later.

well, good news! Glad to hear they're ok and that the problem is getting fixed! I may as well drive over and just order mine in person (or call) and pick them up the same day! (if they're ready, that is!) But I'M not ready yet, so it'll be a month or 2 before I can share any chick stories/pics!

Glad to hear your babies made it OK. I'm a newbie (never had chicken before) and I ordered about two months ago from Meyer (a small order, and paid extra for shipping like you)...they are supposed to arrive week after next. Fingers crossed that their shipping glitch is fixed!

Glad to hear your babies made it OK. I'm a newbie (never had chicken before) and I ordered about two months ago from Meyer (a small order, and paid extra for shipping like you)...they are supposed to arrive week after next. Fingers crossed that their shipping glitch is fixed!
First chickens ever? How exciting! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom