Meyer Hatchery vs. McMurray Hatchery

I just wish I could get ducklings and turkey chicks for pick-up--but it's probably good that I can't, otherwise, I would be over-run with babies!

I asked them about combined shipping with ducklings and chicks, and they ship from different locations. I had to make three orders this year. It was cheaper to get the ducklings from McMurray, and I ordered chicks and goslings from Meyer. I had to place my chick order in December to make sure I got what I wanted in July. JULY! Crazy. LOL

I wonder if they just have a new employee filling orders.  I haven't had anything like that happen before.  Have you called them to let them know?  Their customer service, in my experience, is really good.

Meyer won't send you anything you didn't order, and I like that about them.  McMurray is mostly like that (except with the free exotic), and that's why I'm so surprised your order is so wrong.  Maybe if you have enough they could send you the ones you wanted?
They told me that they can send me more if I purchase more, because the order must include 15 birds. The newer ones that we discovered were not in our order they are not giving us credit for, but for the ones that we lost and the mix ups that we caught right away, we were reimbursed for.

This is the chick that we were sure was our Buff Rock. Now it looks very similar to our New Hampshire. They asked if I was confusing it with my NH. I said no because the one that we identified as the from day 1 NH has more red on its back. They had a manager look at it, and they said that it was to early to tell. Someone was nice enough to send me pics of their Buff Rock, and mine looks far from it.

This is the chick that we were sure was our Buff Rock. Now it looks very similar to our New Hampshire. They asked if I was confusing it with my NH. I said no because the one that we identified as the from day 1 NH has more red on its back. They had a manager look at it, and they said that it was to early to tell. Someone was nice enough to send me pics of their Buff Rock, and mine looks far from it.
Yeah, that....looks an awful lot like a New Hampshire....
Same thing with our New Hampshire "Smokey" (from Meyer)--she was part of the Leann's Adopt Me--we figured it was another Buff Orpington until she started feathering out with penciled! She turned out gorgeous. But since we didn't explicitly order a New Hampshire it took us quite a while to figure out what she was.

Last edited:
Same thing with our New Hampshire "Smokey" (from Meyer)--she was part of the Leann's Adopt Me--we figured it was another Buff Orpington until she started feathering out with penciled! She turned out gorgeous. But since we didn't explicitly order a New Hampshire it took us quite a while to figure out what she was.

Did you get any turkeys? I'm considering doing that, and my hubby wants turkeys.

She's cute, but definitely too dark to be a buff.

Did you get any turkeys?  I'm considering doing that, and my hubby wants turkeys.

She's cute, but definitely too dark to be a buff.  
I agree. I would love to have about 4 turkeys. We are preparing a place for Turkeys outside. My dad was telling me how they get sick more often and need to be away from chickens longer, just to be safe. He said once you hatch your own with a good mother; the new generation will be better prepared. The mother will teach and take care of them.

Quote:
No, I wish! I did however get a pullet that thinks she's a duck out of that whole deal.

I think the Adopt Me bargain is only Broad-Breasted but I haven't heard of anyone actually getting a turkey through that. Rural King is backordered beyond belief for both chicks and turkeys, but there's always next year for me.

Get the man some jennies! Hens can be surprisingly loving considering how jerk-ish the toms can be.

Back
Top Bottom