Meyer Hatchery

Here's the babies they are all doing good My Saxony is a little snuggle bug and really chill, my Silver Appleyard is the leader, and my Buff is a loud peeper.

Attachments

• IMG_20180823_205205_276.jpg
    IMG_20180823_205205_276.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20180823_205205_277.jpg
    IMG_20180823_205205_277.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 9
Well I ordered the ducklings from Meyer Hatchery but they get their ducks from Metzer Farms so it was joint effort. I believe the chickens come from Meyer's though. They are beautiful and healthy and I have gotten chickens in the past from Meyer's and they are equally beautiful and healthy

Attachments

• IMG_20180712_165314_498.jpg
    IMG_20180712_165314_498.jpg
    472.4 KB · Views: 8
For anyone that ordered chickens or ducks from Meyer Hatchery, how long did it take you to recieve them? Did you experience any losses. How was your experience?

I ordered from my pet chicken.com and they sent them from Meyer Hatchery. I received four healthy one day olds as ordered. They were 4 hours late but post office called me per my request on arrival and I picked them up in like 15 minutes. I followed the Hatchery recommendations for care and they are now healthy 12 week olds. I ordered free catalog sent to me from Meyer and found lots of helpful information for starting own flock such as feeding guidelines, weight charts, breed info, and general care. All helpful.

For anyone that ordered chickens or ducks from Meyer Hatchery, how long did it take you to recieve them? Did you experience any losses. How was your experience?

I ordered three rare breeds and 3 Silkies from Meyer. Shipping was a couple of days, but the heat pack was lukewarm on arrival, but activated just fine when I smacked it again. One Silkie arrived dead. One died a few days later and all three Hamburgs ended up with wry neck within 24 hours. All were dead inside of a week. My vet advised that wry neck in chicks that young is from a Vitamin E and Selenium deficiency in the breeding stock.

Customer Service offered me free chicks, but both breeds were sold old. They offered free replacement, but in order to get free shipping, I had to order right away. They wouldn't have either breed again until Spring, when I would have to pay shipping again. I don't think so!

After a month, with five dead chicks and the last one on the verge of death with failure to thrive, after my losing three days of work and spending nearly $80 on the vet and meds, Meyer finally refunded my whole purchase price. I think they were just tired of dealing with me!

The last chick did ultimately survive, but it took multiple calls to the vet, $30 in supplies and another day off work. Our "free" Silkie is very sweet, but is so far off the SOP that we can never breed him. I will say, though, that after all that extra handling and TLC, he's definitely part of the family. Hes our Herman!

So. in summary,
Am I happy with my order from Meyer?
Since we ended up with Herman the House Rooster, Yes.
Will I ever order from them again? Absolutely NOT!

Almost all mail order chicken hatcheries do not hatch their own ducklings. Instead they drop ship them from Metzers Farms, which is fine as Metzers is an absolutely top notch family business. But I wish the chicken hatcheries would be more open about it instead of pretending to be a duck hatchery.

Contact the company right away.

Mine were received within 28 hours. Check the website to see if this is normal. I was guided to call if not received first day by close of post office because the chics can only survive off the yolk for a couple days. Important to start chic vit a pak water right away to perk them up and put in the brooder as they have not had anything to eat since hatched and will require temp control at 90-95 if one day olds. Brooder should be pre-heated.

Back
Top Bottom