Meyer Hatchery

I ordered a Rainbow Pullet Pack = 25, from them mths ago and they are now 3 weeks old. I was sent 27, including the mealmaker free bird and none died. All were very healthy. I have checked other hatcheries closer to us..but I really like Meyer's prices and service..hoping they will get more selections soon..but I am placing another order in a few weeks!

Quote:
Yes I have been searching and I really like their prices, I was about to place a order for some RIR's, but I found a local breeder and got some from him yesterday .........

Hi. I see your post was awhile back, but I wanted to let you know my experience with Meyer Hatchery, which by the way, I will NEVER USE again.

First, they sent my 4 babies from their hatchery, to Detroit, THEN BACK to their hatchery !!

They had NO explanation for why that happened.

The next day I went to the Post Office, opened the box which was slightly crushed and had only 1 hole, and the 1st baby I saw had Spraddle Leg, couldnt stand, and couldnt open his eyes.

To make a long story short, ALL 4 babies had Pasty butt, I lost my Salmon Favorelle the next day despite placing Hobbles around his feet, then I lost a Cochin!!

I have 2 left which I was able to treat for about a week , for Pasty Butt.

I called them to report the losses , and their attitude was more like " oh well, here, we will give you a credit or refund your money " and NOT interested in WHY AND HOW my babies died.

There was WAY TOO much room for them to be bounced around in the box, only 1 breathing hole, and they shipped it BACK TO THEMSELVES !

Anyway,
I did feel like I needed you to know a fellow BYC member, my experience.

P.S

This happened just 2 weeks ago.

DD

UPDATE

Being new to the World of Chickens, I have further discovered, that my surviving " Cochin" is actually a Partridge Rock, and a Roo at that ..

I have lost a total of 2 Hens of the 4.

Also, you will read on their website, that they send " 20 percent more chicks with order in case of fatalities "..

I did NOT receive my 20 per cent , and when I mentioned that to them, they THEN, informed me that " they only do that IF they have extras"..

Now, I totally understand that, however, maybe they should ADD that statement right after the original ..I dont know, maybe its me, but that makes sense.

Last edited:
ladychicken&Ducklover :

Hi. I see your post was awhile back, but I wanted to let you know my experience with Meyer Hatchery, which by the way, I will NEVER USE again.

First, they sent my 4 babies from their hatchery, to Detroit, THEN BACK to their hatchery !!

They had NO explanation for why that happened.

The next day I went to the Post Office, opened the box which was slightly crushed and had only 1 hole, and the 1st baby I saw had Spraddle Leg, couldnt stand, and couldnt open his eyes.

To make a long story short, ALL 4 babies had Pasty butt, I lost my Salmon Favorelle the next day despite placing Hobbles around his feet, then I lost a Cochin!!

I have 2 left which I was able to treat for about a week , for Pasty Butt.

I called them to report the losses , and their attitude was more like " oh well, here, we will give you a credit or refund your money " and NOT interested in WHY AND HOW my babies died.

There was WAY TOO much room for them to be bounced around in the box, only 1 breathing hole, and they shipped it BACK TO THEMSELVES !

Anyway,
I did feel like I needed you to know a fellow BYC member, my experience.

P.S

This happened just 2 weeks ago.

DD

I am praying that this isn't my experience with them as I changed my order today and added more chicks .............. I am going to pray all goes well I do thank you for your warning and if this be the case then I know what not to do in the future.​

Quote:
We had much better luck with Ideal, sorry that happened to you
sad.png

I had a positive experience with Meyer last year. As far as the above shipping mistake, with all the chicks they send out, it's bound to happen. Ordering from any hatchery has it's risks. I have ordered only about 10 times from hatcheries in 18 years & never had a bad experience.

Quote:
Seems that in the end when they tried to fax over what ever papers they had ( shipping and sales report ) that the truth came out and the person on the other end of the line had to admit that they were never inspected by the vet in the first place .I can undestand a person making a mistake and forgetting this , seeing as to how I have to use a USA zip as a mailing address , biy it clearly state's that I paid for vet papers /export papers .I was kinda upset by the lack of customer service provided , I would have thought that the first thing that they would do is offer to quickly replace them ? all they wanted to do was reimburse me the cost of the papers ? I had to explaine to the rep that I couldn't take the chicks across the border ! and in the end I had to ask for a full reimbursement .........which is not what I wanted ! My eight year old was waiting at home to see the chicks and I had to explaine that all the months of waiting were a waste of time .I have asked for a better explaination , but I really doubt that they will respond .................they never did to the other two emails ..............................sad , I thought that they were a good choise , i researched for two years , looked at pictures that people had posted about there birds etc etc .

I would love to order from Meyer this spring, but I'm wondering if any of you have had luck finding promotional codes for the company? Let me know! I can't figure out how to make a post on here!

Back
Top Bottom