MGG's Hatching Thread!

Yup! Mine did it anywhere. Even on a pallet. That was kind of funny, because the chicks kept falling through the slats, and the mama kept freaking out because her chicks were disappearing. šŸ¤£
She eventually figured out not to warm her chicks up on the pallet, lol!

It sounds really fun and all, but it's really not a good idea. I tried it. The chicken was so sweet, but crazy clingy. If I left to go anywhere, she'd get depressed. She was so lonely. I had to go on a trip with my family, so I started integrating her in with another chicken. My poor girl didn't know how to "be" a chicken. She hated the other hen, and it seemed to make her more upset. The hen who I had put in with her was upset because she missed the flock. So I just put them both in with the flock (I was leaving the next day) and the caretaker told me that she was just laying in a corner. She was fine, the other birds just completely ignored her. It's like the others didn't even know she was there. She was so lonely, she didn't get along with the other birds and they paid no attention to her whatsoever. I tried to raise another bird for her that was just as tame, nothing worked out. I had a chicken who couldn't stand being alone, and who couldn't even live a chicken's life. Eventually, one of my other hens killed her overnight. She was probably trying to snuggle under one and got attacked. She just didn't fit in, it was so sad. If you want to raise a tame one, raise at least two together so one will have a chicken friend. I felt so bad for my poor girl, she was never accepted.

Sounds like it was eventful, lol!

Yep! Everyone is good here. I have another broody. She's been sitting on rocks for 2 days. šŸ¤£
Just want to show you the baby's there 20 days old.ā˜ŗļø

Yup! Mine did it anywhere. Even on a pallet. That was kind of funny, because the chicks kept falling through the slats, and the mama kept freaking out because her chicks were disappearing. šŸ¤£
Oh great! Just thought it was weird for her to do it in the dirt and stuff but that makes me feel better. šŸ˜‚ Thats hilarious. One of my chicks went in between a small piece of chicken wire in my coop and my hen started freaking out because there was something between them. She started attacking the wire until the chick just walked back aroundšŸ˜‚.
It sounds really fun and all, but it's really not a good idea. I tried it.
yeah that makes sense. Im sorry that happened to yours:(. My hen was just way to overwhelmed with 9 chicks and couldn't keep track of them all well. She would be turned facing one while she didn't see the two behind her about to get pecked up another chicken. Or she wouldn't realize one chick had wandered across the run. So I decided I would take the 3 weakest looking ones from her. She kept pecking and neglecting one chick in particular. It was the one I found on the floor of the coop this morning. Im thinking she decided 9 was too many and she wasn't going to take care of this one:(. So I took it to the brooder. Then I took the lavender one because she just couldn't keep up as well. Then one of the black bearded ones just because I caught it falling down it was so tired when everyone else was running around eating and stuff. All three are doing great in the brooder I made for them. Im considering taking one more from her just because I don't want to overwork her and risk losing any chicks. Hopefully having multiple chicks will avoid the problems you faced with it. Instead of a tub style brooder I made a rectangular prism type thing from 2x2s with a door that opens from the side instead of a hand reaching down from above them. I heard this can make chicks and ducklings more sociable. I guess ill find out! Whenever I put my hand in the coop they try to run under it and sleep like they did under my broody. I think this is a good sign!
Yep! Everyone is good here. I have another broody. She's been sitting on rocks for 2 days.
Great! šŸ˜‚, are you going to give her your next batch of eggs coming?

So funny

Attachments

• PXL_20210413_172657161.jpg
    PXL_20210413_172657161.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20210413_172703901.jpg
    PXL_20210413_172703901.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 9

Yep! Everyone is good here. I have another broody. She's been sitting on rocks for 2 days. šŸ¤£
:lau:lau:lau:gig:gig:gig

Back
Top Bottom