MHP to Roost

SCMommaHen

Songster
Apr 16, 2021
I have 16 4.5 week old chicks in the setup below. Originally I had them in two boxes with their own MHP. When I combined them in the new setup I noticed they all try to cram on and under the one MHP in the corner, not using the second one at all. They fight for the best spot for an hour or more each night, pushing each other out or off. It's actually very funny as they're pushed out one side and and try to wiggle back in the other. I can't imagine it's a good night's sleep fighting for position all night.

The temp is warm enough to put outside in their house but I'm waiting on an electric fence to arrive. I have MHP now set on low and the door open to let the room get outside air during day (highs in low 90s). They roost on the branches I have in there during day but not at night. Night temps are in 70s in their room.

When can I remove the MHPs and what do I replace them with? Another roost in the corner? Roost in a box? Too early to roost at night? I also tried turning the MHPs to face each other along the back wall but they still only use the one.
IMG_20210520_100649.jpg

Last edited:
If it's 90 during the day, they need no supplementary heat if outdoors. If it's 75 at night out in the coop, they won't need heat when they sleep. So I would go ahead a move the who kit and caboodle out into the coop.

As long as the coop is secure and not open sided, they should be safe for the few days until the hot wire kit comes.

To transition my chicks to the coop, I move their heating pad system with them, though they may not need to heat. The security of the familiar for a few days will make the move less stressful. I move my chicks in and close them up in the coop several hours before dark so they can play and explore. When night comes, a small night light for a few nights gets them through the first few nights.

It's going to drop down to 72/54 Sunday (spring in the south...sigh) and then slowly warm back up. I'll try next weekend. Good idea bringing momma with them.

I read on other posts this piling together in a corner is common at this age. I'm guessing a roost wouldn't really be useful now? Just leave it as is?

I do worry about my backyard. My cameras catch raccoons and opossum every week. I have mice around an outbuilding I think they're after. I can't imagine what else could draw them in.

It's going to drop down to 72/54 Sunday (spring in the south...sigh) and then slowly warm back up. I'll try next weekend. Good idea bringing momma with them.

I read on other posts this piling together in a corner is common at this age. I'm guessing a roost wouldn't really be useful now? Just leave it as is?
Those temps are perfectly acceptable for the chicks at this age. I'd feel fine putting them out down to the 40s.

I wouldn't worry about adding a roost. I haven't found it makes any difference to them roosting once they get in the coop. With or without a training roost, they'll roost in the coop when they feel ready for it (or you can press the issue by manually placing them on the roost in there).

Back
Top Bottom