Miami Twp Ohio Chickens

We get along swimmingly with our neighbors, but I’m a little afraid to ask, and across the street is a realtor whom I suspect would report us.
Our suburban house sits on .75 acres and backs up to 50 acres of woods which is privately owned and uninhabited.

Are you in an HOA?

No HOA, Acre4Me.

Well, that is good. Neighbors tend to be more opinionated in HOAs it seems - after all they signed docs agreeing to limitations and expectations for everyone in the hood. However, if not allowed, I would not tell anyone if you decide to continue with your plans. Do you know the owner of the 50 acre parcel? you could possibly (with permission) place the coop on their property if allowed on larger parcels.

Well, that is good. Neighbors tend to be more opinionated in HOAs it seems - after all they signed docs agreeing to limitations and expectations for everyone in the hood. However, if not allowed, I would not tell anyone if you decide to continue with your plans. Do you know the owner of the 50 acre parcel? you could possibly (with permission) place the coop on their property if allowed on larger parcels.

I could try to contact the owner and ask. That’s not a bad idea. Any coop would still technically need to be 200 ft from the property line which would, in turn, put the coop about 300’ from our house. Might be a little far to fetch eggs daily.

I spoke with Jeff from Miami Township zoning, and apparently at Tuesday’s council meeting there was a notion discussed which would allow 6 chickens per household regardless of property size! Nothing substantive yet, but it’s promising!

Is anyone interested in helping put together a proposal for backyard chickens in Miami Twp Ohio? I spoke to a nice man at the Miami Twp. zoning office. We had a good conversation and he said if I wanted to pursue changing the zoning laws we can meet and go over what would have to happen in order for something to go before the zoning board. He also said there are no guarantees it would be changed and there is a $300 fee to file. I would like to get copies of other communities proposals that were used to change their zoning to allow backyard chickens. If you are interested in helping with this, please let me know. If there isn't interest, then I may not pursue it. Thanks for your consideration.
Its being considered by the board of trustees now!!! I started a petition to show our support. Please sign and share :)

http://chng.it/BgGGQ8xxcD

So did this ever get passed or considered?
Looks like they were able to get 6 chickens approved. I am moving to Miami Township next month from Washington State and bringing my brood of chickens with. Funny thing is our property is half in the township and half out of it on the zoning map. Our address doesn’t come up in the search on the Township website checker so I am assuming we are exempt? I hope so because I have roosters 😬😬😬

Back
Top Bottom