Mice Mice Mice!

Miyashi

Songster
8 Years
Apr 20, 2011
Gaylord, MI
They are in the walls, the ceiling, every place possible. When I kick the wall, they all come running out of one hole into another.
I had a wooden gravity feeder that they had eaten the back out of. I got rid of that, went back to my metal hanging feeders.
I also bought a flock block, so my birds wouldn't be bored during rainstorms and what not. The mice hollowed that out completely!
Last year when I had no flock block and no wooden gravity feeders, I had a tiny family of mice living in the cement block that the water was on top of. There was maybe...7-9 mice...
Now, I swear it's gotta be around 40. I blame the gravity feeder and the flock block for the sudden increase...I have done away with both of those things. The next flock block I buy will be hung.
Anyhow....how do I get rid of the mice?
My girls are all sleeping on the perch, the babies are on the floor (10 weeks old) and my rooster is sleeping on the oyster shell gravity bin. He's listening to the wall and losing a lot of sleep. I've noticed blood on the walls and with the way he is acting and keeping his distance from everyone (he used to sleep with the big girls on the perch) I think he's listening the darn mice all night and killing them when he can.
I need to do something. I'm worried that if the mice run out of crumbs to eat from the leftover banquets...they may attack my "babies"
I know the blood on the walls isn't from my birds, I check them all over daily.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a ton, in advance!

First off, try to make sure all potential sources of food are mouse-proof. Get a hanging feeder made of metal, and keep all food in metal trash bins. Cutting off access to the food supply will go to great lengths to get rid of mice and prevent new ones from coming in.

Second, I'd suggest a regimen of Peanut Butter Blasters. PBB's are an effective way of killing mice without having to worry about toxic side-effects. A Peanut Butter Blaster is basically a ball of peanut butter mixed with Plaster of Paris. You can look up the exact recipe on the BYC forums. The mice love the peanut butter, and will devour it like crazy. However when they eat it, the Plaster of Paris will harden in their guts, causing them to die. That being said, make sure to put the PBB's somewhere the chickens can't get to them, since it will have the same effect on the chickens.

Here is a good topic about Peanut Butter Blasters: Link!

Good Luck!

I did switch back to the metal hanging feeders.
The oyster shell and grit still come from the gravity bins (made of wood) but I wouldn't think that would be something that would interest mice?
I suppose I could drop the PBB's into the wall cavities...but then I would have dead mice stank....but I'm planning to rebuild entirely....aluminum base boards and siding...blah blah....
So I guess I would be able to remove them during that time....
It just gives me the chills when I go out there and I can hear them crawling around everywhere.
My poor roo is being ever so vigilant too....he seems kinda tense...like he's not getting sleep. I have to remedy this quickly.
I will look into the PBB's. Thanks for your help! ^_^

Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated...even if it's got to do with overall coop construction...I thought it was good, but after this, I've decided, not so much.
Beginning rebuild plans tomorrow and actually carrying them out quickly!
I love hearing what everyone has to say!
I love being here!
lol.png

I guess I'll start by cleaning out the coop today. Lock the girls outside...like they'll mind.
Rip the walls off and chase them out.

Today we tore down the walls, took the ceiling out and omg.
My Dad thought I was over exaggerating about how many mice there were.
He doesn't really care for the birds...but he's developed some respect for them after they killed 8 mice.
^_^
I think Henny Penny (RIR) killed 3 or 4 all by herself.
Pretty gross how she was beating them against the rocks and what not....but hey, she got the job done.

I hope your roo doesn't get tape or round worms from the mice, maybe that's why hes acting strange!

You might have to buy a mousetrap. Sad but true. I hate doing that
he.gif
. OR maybe you can buy a mouse trapper and put the mice somewhere else (though I have no idea where...).
D.gif
jumpy.gif

We got a cat to get rid of mice. Our whole neighborhood has trouble with them due to nearby construction. Anyway, the cat was pregnant so now we have three cats. BUT NO MICE!!!!!!!!!
wee.gif
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom