Michigan- dealing with a ISA Brown Rooster with Frost bite

kritterkeep

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
Hello

Our 10 mo old ISA Brown Rooster has frost bite on his Comb and Waddles some of the little tips have already fell off and have been bleeding... what can we do to treat him we put some bag balm on it this morning quick before we had to leave.. and also put a heat lamp in the house they are in... the little shed they are in is not close to any electric and hubby was worried about running cords all over the yard - but has decided because of this it is a must and we have run a extension cord out there and put a heat lamp with a 120 watt bulb in it...

they seem to be enjoying and the two ducks even seem happier... I am just sorry it took someone getting frost bit for us to do it...

So Question what course of treatment should we use on the comb and waddle that is frost bit...

Thank you

Donna B

they are pretty tough and usually get over frost bite just fine. Less comb to freeze next time. But I don't know what to put on it. The heat lamp should be enough to stop further frost bite.

You can put an antibiotic ointment on it just make sure it DOES NOT contain any anesthetic. Anything that has turned black on his comb or wattles will eventually atrophy and fall off. Having heat in your coop won't necessarily prevent frostbite. Often it occurs while he is outside and the risk increases if he get his comb or wattles wet while drinking. High humidity in your coop can also increase the risk of frostbite. Remember ventilation but no drafts.

Yes Opa is correct. Gently put regular neosporin on the bleeding areas to prevent infection. We had 2 weeks of hard freeze in early January and I put vaseline on the chickens wattles and combs prior to them going in their house each night. It was time consuming but I'm glad I did.

Back
Top Bottom