Michigan Hatchers! What'cha got cookin?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gladahmae, Jan 23, 2014.

1. jorey

jorey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    north adams
    Not a problem. :) I won't have lf till after easter hatchalong. Have br and salmon favs coming. Br for hatchalong and salmons this week. I think I need another bator. I iust ordered silkie eggs for next week. I nees to do some figuring. Bye

2. naglady

naglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2013
    Northern Michigan
    @roostercrow congratulations,

aart check out craigslist there is people selling chicks all the time. or your feed stores.. they may have some.

last hatch i did dry but added like maybe few Tbsp of water during the 18 days, and humidity stayed around 15% - 24%..
    last night when i set eggs, no water at all, humidity was 29% this am.. temp is holding 101-103 pretty steady. and that is what i shoot for..

Have a good day all

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Just realized that I set the eggs at 3pm on Feb 16th.....so day 21 started yesterday at 3pm, and it's still day 21 right now.....so that gave me a tiny bit of hope that I'll still have some more hatch.

Might be splitting hairs (minutes? feathers?).....but sometimes a little hope can get you thru the day!

Chickie that hatched is very quiet unless I talk to him, but he's up and moving around just fine.

1 person likes this.
  4. gladahmae

gladahmae Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Benzie, MI
    Oh GOOD! You have another day and a half for those little peepers to come out! I had a BLRW hatch on day 24 last year under a broody. Strangest thing, because the other 5 had hatched and the silkie was still GLUED to the nest, so I let her keep that last egg.

I write everything on my calendar when I set eggs. The day they go in is day 0, and then i write down which days to candle, which day to put them in lockdown, hatch day, which day to 'float test' any un-hatched eggs, and so on. I've got enough information in my brain that I don't need to try to keep track of all that stuff too!

Hoping this warm spell gets the girls laying again so that I can start collecting to set before vacation. :)

5. naglady

Jan 12, 2013
    Northern Michigan
    aart dont give up hope its still early.. if your temps were on the low side your chicks can hatch up to 25 days.. good luck.. fingers crossed..

l

6. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yeah, I write everything out too, actually do a spreadsheet, but always forget to use day '0' for set day. <rollseyes>
    So yes finger crossed!

7. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Well I can tell all of you right now not to buy directly from GQF
    Talk about an aggravating experience, I placed my order online last night (after hours) and never received a conformation email. I thought oh okay, I'll get it first thing tomorrow morning when they process my order. Well 12:00 noon rolls around and I STILL haven't gotten my conf email so I pull up their website and call them ...the phone # listed on their OWN website is incorrect - I have to look it up in yellow pages to get the right one. Finally get customer service on the phone , she tells me oh no you'll not get an email confirmation just be patient, they'll ship my order out Wednesday and it should get to me in 7-10 business days! Are you kidding me?! I ordered directly from you just so it could be shipped out immediately :he grrr so I ended up cancelling that order and placed one with handy dandy Amazon (what I should have done in the first place) and received my email notification 30 seconds later saying it will be on my doorstep in 5-7 days. Did I mention that Amazon was cheaper too?! I swear some companies WANT to loose business :rant

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  8. naglady

Jan 12, 2013
    Northern Michigan
    i love amazon, get the packages pretty fast.. order from there alot

9. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    ..and it's really easy to do returns for no cost.

I just learned I can set up a return online and the UPS guy comes and picks it up. They sent my replacement immediately and let me know via email that my return had been received. Do' know when they started this, but I hadn't needed to send anything back before.

10. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I know , I LOVE amazon, Ive been shopping with them for 4 years now. I knew I should have used Amazon in the first place. Oh and amazon always makes it right. I've returned things a few times :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by