Michigan Right to Farm Law, what does it mean?

I just started to follow this and am trying to wrap my mind around it. I live in an agricultural area in Zeeland Charter Township, almost 4 acres, was an old dairy farm originally. Neighbors are *all* farmers except a few houses. A few years ago the was a development put up probably 1/2 mile or less from all the dairy farms, small farmers with cows, goat farmers, there is a chicken farm right behind us. We have horses. Are they saying that all of that will have to go away because of the development? The next door neighbors on one side have horses, too, and the other have cattle, pigs, chickens. All on under 5 acres. Thanks for doing all you can!
ANd ths is EXACTLY the type of thing RTF is designed to PROTECT!

@ Sonoran Silkies, YES, this is what is at stake. If your township allows poultry AND if you are zoned for agriculture, you will be "safe." But if you have human neighbors, and now apparently a development is coming in, you are most likely zoned residential and would lose your RTF protection. Come join us on the Michigan thread!

I was just reading up on the Supreme Court "Slaughter-House" case of Louisiana in 1873 which the Supreme court upheld Louisiana the "right" to give a slaughter house exclusive rights within 1154 square miles in LA. including New Orleans. It was overturned later, and is still valid today.
"The strong dissenting opinion by Justice Stephen J. Field, arguing that the Fourteenth Amendment protects the fundamental rights and liberties of all citizens against state interference, was later adopted by the Supreme Court's majority."
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/supremecourt/antebellum/landmark_slaughterhouse.html

This might be a stretch, but by making the proposed changes the state is in fact interfering with the rights of all it's citizens in favor of a few.

Any comments or opinions are welcome. I just see the state as making business suitable for the privileged few, and denying life and liberty to the "common" citizen.

Last edited:
@chickwhispers
I agree! The state does indeed seem to be trampling in the rights if all but a few.
As your letter to the Ag commission stated, if this goes through maybe Michigan is not the right place for you to retire...
Michigan is losing residents at alarming numbers! Vacant homes, property with homes being torn down by the city, blight in general does not pay property tax. In fact, blight cost Michigan tons if money! I can't think of any US resident who thinks to themselves we need more laws on the books, we simply don't have enough.
I can't think of anyone who wants less RTF protection. I'm in the same boat as you are, if I can't own my farm animals in Michigan, then maybe Michigan is not the right state for me... I'll take my money, your tax revenue, and my farm animals to another state which is more welcoming...

The 20 acres we farm in Hillsdale county is still ag but by a lake, and they keep selling of small lots 2,5 acres around it. So by the time we get there we may be SOL!
sad.png
It could conceivably be a Category 3 in no time then a Category 4. For taxes they have zoned residential on half of it???? and ag on the other half.

What if everyone with small farm business or small farm animals weren't there anymore? Does Michigan have enough jobs to fill that income gap?

Michigan doesn't have enough jobs even WITH small farming business being permitted. Now we likely won't become millionaires on our small farm income alone, but being in a comfortable financial situation now, I'm considering retiring at the age of 32 and living off of our farm income. If that is not an option for me, maybe I need to move to a farm friendly state.

I guess the commissioners and GAAMPS writers and MDARD have underestimated the value and benefits of the small business, and the amount of revenue we spend on our "backyard" flocks. And the total income and taxes it provides, and SALES tax that those who don't use as business, but as pets, pay out.

Back
Top Bottom