Michigan Right to Farm Law, what does it mean?

hello. i have been looking at the article and was wondering, what if you are in between to counties? i live in auburn but i live right on midland rd so its the main road in town. I seen a few things about chickens in michigan saying you have to get neighbors to agree first? well almost all my neighbors are businesses. i am one of the very few res. homes on this road in this part of the town.

i am not sure what to do, but i would love to have at least 2 or 3 layers to help feed a family of 3 and also compost for the micro farm we will be doing in a small section. we rent so it will be in raised beds and i am thinking about making a chicken tractor for the hens.

Hi there, cobhousedreamer, and welcome to BYC!

There are a couple of schools of thought on your situation.

Most folks on this thread (and I am one) would argue that the state-level Right to Farm Act protects your right to keep chickens, as long as you sell something (like eggs), and as long as you follow the GAAMPs. If you'd like more information on this option, you can email the Michigan Small Farm Council at [email protected].

Other folks assume that whether or not you can keep chickens is a local issue, or don't care to take advantage of the Right to Farm Act. In this case you would have to look up the local ordinance where you are; even if you are on the border between two counties (or townships), your property is within the jurisdiction of one local unit of government or another, and you need to figure out which one, and what their rules are.

Best of luck.

hello. i have been looking at the article and was wondering, what if you are in between to counties? i live in auburn but i live right on midland rd so its the main road in town. I seen a few things about chickens in michigan saying you have to get neighbors to agree first? well almost all my neighbors are businesses. i am one of the very few res. homes on this road in this part of the town.

i am not sure what to do, but i would love to have at least 2 or 3 layers to help feed a family of 3 and also compost for the micro farm we will be doing in a small section. we rent so it will be in raised beds and i am thinking about making a chicken tractor for the hens.

I would start with your local unit of government as wingless said. I'm not suggesting you must follow their ordinance, but it is nice to know where they stand on the issue. If they support your efforts, that's great. If they do not support your efforts, prepare for a fight, and make sure you follow GAAMPS. Hopefully you can educate them in the process.
Best of luck!
RTF

OK. that right there (the taxes) tells you that it is agenda on the order of B.S. and that the RTF trumps the township. Period! Fight it, everyone, or soon there will be no AG left. All levels of government are corrupt beyond reason, money talks so play the game, sue with 7 "0's" as someone else said.

The last vote has officially passed, and the township attorney stamped it.
We are now officially zoned Ag! At first I never thought I would see this day. I'm relieved and cannot wait to aquire more animals (to add to my 40 chickens and 13 goats). Hmmm, maybe some heritage hogs might be nice :)

Hey everybody -

At one time this was a very active thread where important issues around Right to Farm in Michigan were discussed. One reason it isn't as active anymore is because many of us moved on to form the Michigan Small Farm Council so we could advocate for these issues not only in this forum, but also at the level of state government.

What I want to say is that although we aren't as present here, we haven't disappeared. If you have questions about RTF this is a great place to ask them, and if you do some of us still get alerts and will come in and answer them, and continue the public discussion. You can also always contact us directly at [email protected].

Most importantly, I want folks reading this thread to know that no one fighting a RTF battle in Michigan has to fight alone. The Michigan Small Farm Council will help by sharing knowledge, by showing up (as we're able) to court hearings, by writing amicus briefs, and maybe even by helping to find funding. We believe that everyone in Michigan is equally eligible for Right to Farm protection, without regard to the size or the place of the farm, and without regard to local zoning requirements. Instead, if you wish to claim RTF protection, you have to be commercial and sell at least some of your farm products (such as eggs), and follow applicable GAAMPs.

And if I may say two more things. One is that these issues continue to be really important. As a result of changes to the 2014 GAAMPs, we are seeing rural townships change their ordinances to eliminate agricultural rights - in rural townships - by zoning them residential. When news stories are printed about such things we post them on the Michigan Small Farm Council FB page. And sometimes we also write about these issues in our blog.

The last thing I want to say is that we all lost a friend last December to an auto accident. We met mcbeers here on this thread, and he became one of the founding members of the MSFC. He started our FB page and was critical in creating that space where anyone could go to read about small farm stories in Michigan. Behind the scenes he was a quiet force of nature, sure in his opinions but easy in execution. Conversations with Mike were always thoughtful, civil, and productive. He is dearly missed by all of us.

I wondered about having five or six chickens on a residential area in Jackson Michigan. I have read ordinances that state
(a)

The keeping of any hogs or swine or cows within the limits of the city is declared to be a nuisance and is prohibited.

(b)

The keeping of all poisonous reptiles is prohibited. The keeping or sale of all wild or exotic reptiles or animals is prohibited, unless applicable state and/or federal licenses are obtained.

(c)

The keeping of any horses, goats, ducks, geese, doves, pigeons, chickens or other livestock or fowl is likewise declared to be a nuisance and is prohibited. No such livestock or fowl shall be permitted at large.

I have also called to find out if they were caged if they were allowed with the answer being that it does not say they are allowed even if caged. So I'm trying to figure this out before I proceed with obtaining hens. I currently have four bunnies in a hutch and cage (getting another hutch made takes time) outside. So since all my neighbors are ok with them I've had no issue. Would the same apply with chickens? A neighbor actually wants to make a coop for me and get chicks. Lol.

I wondered about having five or six chickens on a residential area in Jackson Michigan. I have read ordinances that state
(a)

The keeping of any hogs or swine or cows within the limits of the city is declared to be a nuisance and is prohibited.

(b)

The keeping of all poisonous reptiles is prohibited. The keeping or sale of all wild or exotic reptiles or animals is prohibited, unless applicable state and/or federal licenses are obtained.

(c)

The keeping of any horses, goats, ducks, geese, doves, pigeons, chickens or other livestock or fowl is likewise declared to be a nuisance and is prohibited. No such livestock or fowl shall be permitted at large.

I have also called to find out if they were caged if they were allowed with the answer being that it does not say they are allowed even if caged. So I'm trying to figure this out before I proceed with obtaining hens. I currently have four bunnies in a hutch and cage (getting another hutch made takes time) outside. So since all my neighbors are ok with them I've had no issue. Would the same apply with chickens? A neighbor actually wants to make a coop for me and get chicks. Lol.
If that is up to date, it looks pretty straightforward to me....chicken are not allowed.
I see nothing there that pertains to rabbits, so your rabbits are likely legal...but that has nothing to do with chickens.
Will your neighbors help pay any fines if you get caught?

If that is up to date, it looks pretty straightforward to me....chicken are not allowed.
I see nothing there that pertains to rabbits, so your rabbits are likely legal...but that has nothing to do with chickens.
Will your neighbors help pay any fines if you get caught?
yeah, its pretty straight forward with regards to the chickens.

Its murkier with the rabbits - if shes keeping them as pets, shes probably fine. If shes got a colony of meat rabbits, shes probably not. I'd be hard pressed to think 4 is a problem.

Back
Top Bottom