Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Lisa and girls

Lisa and girls Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    West Michigan
    X2 they are cutie pies! I can't seem to make the leap to ducks. I was really tempted during chick days to bring some home. Do you keep them in the coop with chickens?

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    [​IMG]
    While the morning is starting out on the cool side it is going to be a glorious day. Today and tomorrow are both going to be ideal for working in the garden and on the yard. This is the kind of weather I really like. Sunny and cool, not the 80 degree temperatures that are predicted for the coming week. The warm temperature will be good for the garden and hopefully I will have everything planted before the hot spell arrives.

Yesterday I opened the door on the grow out cage to allow the 11 week old pullets to free range for the first time. It was comical to watch their confusion as to what was happening. Once they figured out that they could get out, it was like watching a group of little kids heading for recess.

3. Lisa and girls

Nov 2, 2012
    West Michigan
    That's entertaining. It is funny watching them go outside for the first time. It's like a little kid seeing Disney world for the first time. They need a minute to let it register. Lol

4. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

Yesterday we finally had our dog put to sleep. Tough day for all. It's the first time in 18 years we have not had a dog or two or three in the house. Dh says no more dogs, we have enough pets - referring to the chickens. My son and I want one because we don't have HOUSE chickens. I think Dh will change his mind with time. Things are a bit too fresh to think about anything right now.

For the weekend we are planning on some garage sale, a couple parades and wil climb over the fence for the memorial at the cemetery. I am going to buy a head net so I can get some things in the garden. As cold as it has been the past nights we escaped the frost/freeze warnings.

The chicks I ordered have done great. I think I like Ideal. They arrive a day early and were all healthy. I ordered 12 and they threw in 11 for heat. My plan is they are our meat birds, although I don't know what kind they are. They are big. I am thinking about splitting the group up. My little modern game chicks are half the size of them.

Kimmie I love the bossy duck picture.

5. Lisa and girls

Nov 2, 2012
    West Michigan
    :( sorry about your pup

6. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    sorry you had to put your dog down, that is always so sad, would that they could all dy in their sleep at home.Don't know why the vets cant let you do that, would be so much easier on all (just my opinion)

Happy day all!! first day to range is always so much fun to watch, don't get a lot of work done though[​IMG]

7. Lisa and girls

Nov 2, 2012
    West Michigan
    Ok rooster people! Need some advice. Should I have any concerns about introducing my ee roo to the rest of my adult girls? He's been in the grow out side of my coop which has a run with the rest of the ees his age and has had visual contact with the bigger girls. I don't think I would have any apprehension but one of the bigger girls got into a through the fence sparring match with him a couple of times. Any advice? Am I just being over protective? They're at that size where they can start being with the bigger ones....

8. wingless

wingless Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Good morning everybody -

I've only posted on this thread a few times, but I'm a good friend of RaZ, and have traveled with him to Lansing many times to attend agriculture commission meetings.

RaZ and I and eleven other folks, mostly from BYC, have launched the Michigan Small Farm Council to advocate for all kinds of small farmers in Michigan - urban, suburban, and rural. We've been living below the radar for several months as we worked out how to organize ourselves, but are now far enough along that we've decided to open membership to all comers. You can join here if you like: http://www.michigansmallfarmcouncil.org

We're a statewide organization, so there will be very few face-to-face meetings. Instead, we intend to foster discussion on the Michigan Small Farm Forum: http://www.michigansmallfarmforum.com This will be a place where all kinds of farmers can in Michigan can meet up to discuss all kinds of issues. For example, I know a lot about Right to Farm, but only recently learned about issues that small meat producers are having in selling their products, because of state regulations that make that particularly difficult. So I hope this will be a place where different kinds of farmers can let others know about the kinds of issues they are struggling with, in the hopes that if we understand the problems we can help find solutions.

I also think it will be a great place to buy, sell, or trade livestock. I have a lovely flock of Salmon Faverolles that I imported from Canada, and am hoping to build into a robust and sustainable flock. I hatched my first 8 chicks last November, and now have a handful of eggs in the incubator. I hope to hatch all summer and fall, and will have to find new homes for most of them since I only have room for a few. Other folks want to sell firewood, or find hay, or to know when farmland goes up for sale. All of that is more appropriate on a forum dedicated to all kinds of farming in Michigan, and we hope that all of that will become possible on the Michigan Small Farm Forum.

Ok. Signing off. If you reply to me on this thread I may not see it as I just can't keep up with you guys. Please also feel free to PM.

9. going country

going country Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2013
    Otisville, MI
    Does anyone know if the Mi Small Farm Council has a Facebook page? I would like to follow them, and that is the easiest for me. I have a hard time keeping up with a lot of different forums. Thanks in advance! Enjoy this beautiful day!!

10. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    Indeed they are. You can't help but smile when you have ducks. Of course my chickens make me smile as well.

Sorry about your dog Tap. Always a tough time.

I was glad to see Wingless make then MSFC post. She has a difficult time keeping up with our chattiness.

Good idea about creating a FB page, I'll mention that and see how soon we can get something started. There are so many different pages and forums now. One could spend all day going from one to another looking for some specific topic. I hope we can consolidate that and not make it more confusing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by