Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Her name is Sweetie Belle (named after My Little Pony, lol). She was my favorite from the very beginning and still is! She loves to be petted and sits on my lap.
1f600.png

Aww... Sweetie Belle is the cutest chicken name ever! She sounds like a nice bird, but probably not as nice as my girl Pumpkin!

Probably no eggs any time soon, how old are they? You might want to know that your rooster is going to wear those five pullets outs when they become hens. That means their heads will be scarred and feathers will be few and far between on their backs. This is a concern in a colder climate. The solution is more hens (like 7 -10) for one rooster. I

Thanks 1muttsfan! I just want all animals under my care to be as happy as possible for as long as I have them. I checked on the gang like a half hour ago and everyone was up on the roosting bars and they looked pretty comfy. No drafts I could feel and the humidity was at 70 so I think we might be on the right track! The husband agreed to change out the roosting bars for 2x4s for me.

Poultrymaster, I wasn't even going to name the chickens cause I get too attached as is but Sweetie Belle just demanded a name. Now they all have names, lol.

Probably no eggs any time soon, how old are they? You might want to know that your rooster is going to wear those five pullets outs when they become hens. That means their heads will be scarred and feathers will be few and far between on their backs. This is a concern in a colder climate. The solution is more hens (like 7 -10) for one rooster. I

My chickens are all about 22 weeks I think now. They were hatched July 11. No signs of overbreeding yet. I've actually not even seen any mounting at all yet but I do plan to add into the flock this spring. I'm thinking 4 more full size and 3 more bantams.

I have two cochin bantams left. The full size roosters just abuse the bantams to the point the bantam hens won't even come off the roost, especially in the winter. The bantams are my favorite mothers because they are just outstanding in every way - minus tiny eggs. They just get squished and pummeled by full sized roosters.

Roosters shouldn't try to mount them until they know the hens are anatomically capable. The roosters have pretty good senses regarding that. Roosters wont do anything either until they are ready reproductively. I've found that 12-15 hens per rooster is good. Cochin hens should lay at no later than 32 weeks. I thought theyd start at 26, but no joy, and that was again with bantam cochins, not orpingtons. That was also in NC too so thats also a consideration.

Make sure they get 14 hours of some kind of light consistently. I have a running light 24/7. Keeps predators away and birds laying. Haven't lost a bird in three years.

Last edited:
I use tree limbs or saplings, bark on, for roosting. About 2" to 3.5" diameter. Some of my birds also roost 8' up on the 4" fence posts used as rafters in my oldest coop section. It's all fine! I wouldn't use 1.5" smooth dowels at all. Fixing ventilation is an ongoing process with a new coop, and it sounds like you're on it. Shouldn't be much more humid than ambient, ever. Mary

We have tree limbs in the run for roosting and they seem to love them. Definitely will have my husband change out the roosts in the coop. It's so hard when you're just staring out to figure it all out, but we're willing to fix as we go!

Back
Top Bottom