Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Wouldn't that mean there is too much moisture in the coop?
It's supposed to be small amounts of moisture on bottom? From the chicken poo. Thats the whole point of the deep litter method after. You won't get extra warmth if theres no compost.

What you can't do is leave the top wet. Theres 5 inches of dry straw on top of mine. As far as I know-- this is the proper method. Although it is my first year and I'll take pokes if this isn't right? All the deep-litter winter methods I've heard of do just this.

It's supposed to be small amounts of moisture on bottom? From the chicken poo. Thats the whole point of the deep litter method after. You won't get extra warmth if theres no compost.

What you can't do is leave the top wet. Theres 5 inches of dry straw on top of mine. As far as I know-- this is the proper method. Although it is my first year and I'll take pokes if this isn't right? All the deep-litter winter methods I've heard of do just this.
For proper composting to occur, you need 2 parts of brown material (straw or wood chips) to 1 part green (chicken poop) and moisture content of approximately 50%. That is too much moisture in a coop to be healthy for the chickens. And the ratio isn't right.
Secondly, deep litter in a coop will not generate heat. This tidbit is all over the internet as an anecdote but not one of these claims can be verified. It's very simple, use a soil thermometer to measure the "heat" of the litter. A thermometer and hygrometer in the coop is a good idea. Everyone should know the coop temperature and humidity and be able to adjust airflow as necessary.

Just an opinion from a guy who has composting for years.

Hello Michigan bird raisers. Is everyone else's birds happy with these temps? Our birds pumped out a record day for egg production. I wish it were 40 degrees more often.

thumbsup.gif
woot.gif
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yesss.gif

Birds are happy and laying enough. Sold a few surplus ducks yesterday. I do have an extra flock roo that needs a new home. Got him listed but wanted to share here if anyone needs a mama raised 2 year old boy that does well around humans and his girls. My other roo is not too happy about his presence anymore. I'm in the Muskegon/Twin Lake area. We can discuss a re-homing fee.

Oh yeah, I also had a large litter of Flemish Giants born recently that will be available starting around the beginning of March (ish). And I plan, hopefully, to have some for Chickenstock this year. Anyone that wants to take a look at the little cute fur balls can stop by. This litter has an abundance of albinos.

For proper composting to occur, you need 2 parts of brown material (straw or wood chips) to 1 part green (chicken poop) and moisture content of approximately 50%. That is too much moisture in a coop to be healthy for the chickens. And the ratio isn't right.
Secondly, deep litter in a coop will not generate heat. This tidbit is all over the internet as an anecdote but not one of these claims can be verified. It's very simple, use a soil thermometer to measure the "heat" of the litter. A thermometer and hygrometer in the coop is a good idea. Everyone should know the coop temperature and humidity and be able to adjust airflow as necessary.

Just an opinion from a guy who has composting for years.

I very much appreciate the tip! Like I said--- I'm very new to this, what information I've gotten is from other local chicken people, and they are not always right. I don't think I will do it again next year-- it doesn't seem necessary. Luckily my chickens free range over 20 acres so there isnt a whole lot of poo going on in there, just at night in the nest boxes-- and the coop is about 10ftx12ft in size. I'm just going to wait for a nice dry day to clean it up--- I've been looking around and I kind of like other options better. And like you said--- I don't think it makes too much of a difference.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom