Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Yeah, I'd like to raise them this year too. Would like to see your pens too if possible.

I have quite a few designs. I'll take a picture of my favorite and PM it to you. Actually my personal favorite is in my barn. I had a corner pen for turkeys and when they were gone I put one of my Flemish Giant Bucks in there. He has about 100 sqft of running room. But, I'm moving the new momma in there with her huge litter so they can stretch their legs. The buck will go in her pen for awhile. I have proven albino buck I may be selling to free up some space for another doe. Just too many of these things and today the neighbor was trying to talk me into taking on a Hereford this fall. If the pigs farrow, and the goats kid, I'll be up to my ears in it this year!

Hello,
I was wondering if there seems to be a market for Royal Palm turkeys here in Michigan? I have two hens, and a tom that will be producing this spring and was wondering if I should eat the eggs, or hatch them. I'm not wanting more turkeys so that's why I ask the question. Thanks for any opinions.

Hello,
I was wondering if there seems to be a market for Royal Palm turkeys here in Michigan? I have two hens, and a tom that will be producing this spring and was wondering if I should eat the eggs, or hatch them. I'm not wanting more turkeys so that's why I ask the question. Thanks for any opinions.
I would say... yes, probably.
If you do facebook, I've seen them on some of the plethora of Michigan poultry groups,
that might be a place to sell.
Hatch some out, you can always eat them if they don't sell as youngsters.

Oh, and, Welcome to BYC!

Last edited:
I would say... yes, probably.
If you do facebook, I've seen them on some of the plethora of Michigan poultry groups,
that might be a place to sell.
Hatch some out, you can always eat them if they don't sell as youngsters.

Oh, and, Welcome to BYC!
I am thinking of growing out a few ...when you get chicks, let me know :)

Hello,

I've been breeding turkeys for 8 years and there is a small market for heritage turkeys and a bigger one for meat turkeys. But unless you free range, it's hard to recover the cost of raising the birds via eggs or poults. Another market for the eggs is pysanky artists. They like them as the shells are very strong. The eggs also make excellent pasta.

Last edited:
I have quite a few designs. I'll take a picture of my favorite and PM it to you. Actually my personal favorite is in my barn. I had a corner pen for turkeys and when they were gone I put one of my Flemish Giant Bucks in there. He has about 100 sqft of running room. But, I'm moving the new momma in there with her huge litter so they can stretch their legs. The buck will go in her pen for awhile. I have proven albino buck I may be selling to free up some space for another doe. Just too many of these things and today the neighbor was trying to talk me into taking on a Hereford this fall. If the pigs farrow, and the goats kid, I'll be up to my ears in it this year!

wish I still had the energy to care for all those critters, sounds like fun
smile.png

Hello,

welcome-byc.gif
and the MI, group,
NOPE! They definitely shouldn't be. Luckily I have nestboxes on the opposite side where the laying is being done, come Spring I'm boarding the nest boxes they've been sleeping in up, to try to coerce them to sleeping on the perches above and below.....

I don't know why, but I have 7 of them that just will not leave the nest boxes alone. I brought some chicks in last month and made sure they were using the perches-- they seem to be slowly inspiring the others to sleep in a better location. But I figure, with the stress of winter and the cold front coming in, I will just board them up come spring and try to inspire them to the perches with the others. They've done this since they were chicks-- I hope I can break the habit.

The bedding isn't wet :[ I take care of my chickens. I don't know why people keep assuming their bedding is wet.... as that is not really what I meant. It's starting to get a bit offensive.

I don't think anyone met to offend, just they poo so much at night, they leave wetness behind,
You can also put and empty cardboard box in each nest box late in the afternoon, and remove them the next morning - easy and cheap.
I like that idea, even I could do that, maybe a milk jug would work too,

Thanks for sharing, I'll have to give Sam a call.
We can all get together for that cup of coffee. In June. At Chicken Stock.
wink.png

PS Today is Michigan's 180th birthday.
x2, Hope Sam is doing well, I miss his words of wisdom, his morning coffee too
caf.gif
Happy belated birthday Opa, you are missed.!!

Raz, how are you feeling, mended well from your surgery, I hope

Hello,

Let the hen hatch them? I bet they'd sell. Where are you located?

Hi Snowflake. I'll bring you some "critters" anytime to re-energize you! A house bunny? Might be fun, should have some at Chickenstock.

Let the hen hatch them?  I bet they'd sell.  Where are you located? 

I'm in Jackson and allowing the hens to hatch them doesn't sound like a bad idea. I generally like to hatch them in my incubator this way I can handle them more often. It seems the ones that hatch out with mom tend to be a little human shy.
1f60f.png

Back
Top Bottom