1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Wrightsx4

Wrightsx4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Northwest Michigan
    Mine are the same way - they eat anything I give them and anything they can find. Dirt is a favorite for one of my little roos. They have access to small grit so I don't understand that one. I bought a bunch of pumpkins after Halloween for pennies a piece when our farm market closed for the winter. Just got done cutting each into fourths and packing them into a huge tote inside the coop where hopefully they'll stay cold but not freeze - in & on the straw bales I also got super cheap at the same place. Now I have more seeds to bake. I read they're good for the chickens (natural wormer?) But we love them too, and since the chickens don't seem to have worms - we get the seeds!

2. BackyardFarmMom

BackyardFarmMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    Michigan

I think you are all right... roo
    And yes... I have 5 roos out of 8 chickens right now bringing my grand total to 9/12 roos for the year!!!
    That rooitis bit me hard... Who has some pullets that need a nice home???

Beautiful!!!!

3. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    X2!!!

4. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    Thanks RaZ, and 1Muttsfan. I will bury the pumpkins in the straw in the pole barn.

RaZ- My birds loves pumpkins, they eat the whole thing including the rind! I think that you spoil your girls too much. :p

I noticed while milking Bella that her udder is very furry , some areas are two inches long! Last summer, she had almost no fur on her udder. And her ears are very fuzzy and thick, so maybe hard winter ahead! Also, the steers and the calf have very thick coat, maybe another sign too. We need a hard winter, too many flies last summer!

5. ladyrsanti

ladyrsanti Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Michigan
    My BIL isn't for hire but if he were, he'd be doing me one of those chicken yards - for sure.

Rough afternoon here. A guy wrapped his car around our neighbor's tree. Don't know how fast he was going but it was bad. The guy was still alive when the ambulance left, as far as I know so I'm pulling for him. No idea what caused it. There was no attempt to brake, no skid marks or swerving. Heart attack? Stroke? He just plowed into the tree, full speed, if not more so. The tree was pushed over a little and bears a considerable scar. I heard the sickening "thunk" even over the sound of the roaring winds and thought it was the barn or the silo coming apart so I went to see. I would have rather it been the barn. [​IMG]

6. fuzzybutt love

fuzzybutt love Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Michigan
    aww / eww. [​IMG]

hope he makes it, what a mystery!

7. BackyardFarmMom

Mar 27, 2012
    Michigan
    Thanks FB... I am thinking about getting some of Robins ISAs... I havent decided yet.
    I have a lady from PA coming to get the SGs in a few weeks and might fill their spot with the ISAs...
    Might, also, get some EE babies from PA...Bring some new blood to MI [​IMG]

Lady That is crazy!!! I hope he is okay! Are you the one that called 911 for him? I can't imagine!

8. teeville5

teeville5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Brethren, I earned my 2 plates and 10 screws 8 years ago. They are titanium and are still in place. My doctor told me that as an option, too, but so far they don't bother me. I hope they don't bother your DH either.
    x2

9. kimmie6067

kimmie6067 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi everyone I now have high speed internet finally so now I can keep up. I got a 5 gallon waterer so I don't have to fill it so much. Will I still need a water warmer? I have a heat lamp that comes on at 35 do you think that is enough to not freeze, if I put it right under the lamp?

Heres a pic of my hubby:

Dave VS chainsaw the saw won

[​IMG]

10. BackyardFarmMom

Mar 27, 2012
    Michigan
    My goodness!!!!!!
    I would say Dave won! He got to keep his leg!!!
    OUCH!!!

Can everyone stop hurting themselves? Please!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by