Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

John you are a big softie. Love it. :)

Raz, Now that you are a country boy you will have to beef up your security considerably - sorry to say that run setup is not adequate to protect your birds. Fence holes too large, no security around the bottom, not covered (migrating hawks are on their way).

A local friend had a bad scare with her animals last week, a neighbor dog who had shown up on their property repeatedly finally got inside the fence. It killed several chickens, then went after the goats. Their doe was down on the ground with the dog at her throat when they ran out to the pen, and when the dog turned and growled at them they shot it point blank.

At first they though the doe was dead, but she apparently was just in shock. They got her in the barn and cleaned her up, but she was very shaky for several days even with antibiotics and pain meds. The wether had his ear torn up, but was otherwise unhurt.

The neighbors had to pay for a previous attack on another home farm after the dog killed chickens, turkeys and ducks. Even so, when my friends returned their (dead) dog to them they called the sheriff to file a complaint. After visiting my friend, they went back and gave them a list of dead animals, and told them they would be liable for financial losses.

However, they have a son who had a "hit list" of people at the school who he was considering murdering, and my friend (who is a teacher there) was on that list. Despite being one of the nicest people I know. So they do not want to pursue it, and I can't blame them. I did talk to the neighbor's father, who was indignant about the whole thing - until he found out about all the dead livestock, and the fact that they made no serious effort to keep the dog home. He is a good guy, and can hopefully explain to them why they are completely responsible for what happened.
Ummmm..... Yeah, I don't think that I would have bothered to return the dog to them. Just found a nice quite spot somewhere to bury the dog and been done with it.

That's the ugliest egg I've ever seen! Gross!
Yea, I would not have given that neighbor any reason to retaliate. Bury the dog and play ignorant. I rehomed a neighbors cat once. Neighbor went out of town for 6 weeks and left the cat outside with no shelter and a small bowl of food and water under a car. His dad was there one day and said he couldn't figure out what happened to the cat. I just mentioned that there are a lot of coyotes out there.... This neighbor was a mean drunk with a gun...

So, RaZ, hope your first day at new job went well. Did you get the post holes dug? Beautiful day yesterday.

The mistake they made, was not calling the police first. So the cops could see what the dog did... not the other way around... or just SSS! They sound like a winner of a bunch and I'm surprised they aren't taking the list and possible threat and acting on it.. or are they going to wait till he goes through with it so they can try to take every one's guns?

Just to say...I will try and find the "new" boy a home. He's really nice for a roo. Anyway, Silly, do you have a flyer for Chickenstock? And if so could you message an image to my FB? I have a few people that may want to go that are not part of our flock. If you don't mind I could share the image with them.

Sent!

I'm not great with pics of candling, wish I was, but was able to get this classic 'spider' veining on day 4.
Afraid this hatch won't be great, discovered some detached air cells(yes, even with freshly laid eggs!) and possible weak yolks. :( Bummer! Will know more when I candle all on day 7.
upload_2019-3-25_9-31-56.png

I was mulling over tossing some eggs in to hatch... not thrilled with the thrift of the hens I have now, but maybe my sumatra roo would enhance them. He's old, but the eggs have signs he's still fertile.

Leg is getting better. Still some pain, especially when I move wrong. Went to a Finders Keepers Vintage event yesterday, and today I'm paying for it. But, getting tired of sitting at home.
Such a nice day out. Hope you can enjoy it

Leg is getting better. Still some pain, especially when I move wrong. Went to a Finders Keepers Vintage event yesterday, and today I'm paying for it. But, getting tired of sitting at home.
Such a nice day out. Hope you can enjoy it
Ha I overdid it yesterday too....blew my mobility budget in an hour wandering over rough ground.

Back
Top Bottom