Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Look for more disease resistant apple varieties, and spray less! MSU horticulture had a list, years ago, and most likely there's good information on google too. We had good luck ordering bare root trees from Miller's, but it's been a long time ago, so no idea now where to go for more varieties than the very few offered at most local nurseries.
Mary

Look for more disease resistant apple varieties, and spray less! MSU horticulture had a list, years ago, and most likely there's good information on google too. We had good luck ordering bare root trees from Miller's, but it's been a long time ago, so no idea now where to go for more varieties than the very few offered at most local nurseries.
Mary
The soil conservation office has a nice list (except last year). You may need to check other counties if you inland from the fruit belt.

Oh, and my experiment with four o'clocks is going well. The flower plants aren't killing the beetles quickly (I was warned they don't) but they are keeping them off the rest of the garden very well. We still pick the beetles off (with a small cup of water under the leaf for them to drop into), and they seem to be noticeably more sluggish and easier to pick off.

It is still a little early in the season, so we will see how it h goes.

I'm feeding the few from the beans and many from the weed bank to the chickens but not the many from the four oclocks... not taking chances that the four oclocks are toxic to the chickens too.

Attachments

• 4183854E-C800-46FA-A202-D2BDF6E19069.jpeg
    4183854E-C800-46FA-A202-D2BDF6E19069.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
The Japanese Beetles are really out in force now around here. Every day I have a circuit that I walk with my bug jar. This info makes me feel like I'm doing some good:

"A female lays 40 to 60 eggs in her life, preferring moist soil with grassy cover. The female beetle digs about 10 cm into the soil several times over a period of about two weeks, each time laying eggs in small batches. Eggs hatch one to two weeks later, and the small larvae feed on the nearby roots."

I'm probably nigh onto 500-600+ beetles now. The chickens love them. I tell the little #$@*& that they will live again as chicken poop. Or eggs.

I have a score to settle with JBs. Their ancestors several years ago killed my hazelnut trees.

Good morning all - humid morning and you can tell the rain is coming in the air.

So a week in with the tractor and I got it stuck in a rut and the bucket got wedged on the dumpster while throwing trash into it from a project. This city girl has some learning to do🤣. Nothing that my dad and I couldn’t solve but it is pretty humbling!

The dumpster is now gone and not a day too soon. I was tired of looking at that thing.

I got my first tomatoes this morning! One “early girl” and a handful of. “Sweet 100s”. It won’t be a bumper crop by any means, but it is the first season I’ve planted anything in years so I’ll take the win.

As for the littles, the dust up that occured the other day hasn’t happened again….yet. Someone got a wild hair under her saddle and laid down the law, but everything has been pretty calm since then. Fingers crossed.

Have a good a day everyone

Last edited:
Looked out my bedroom window to see a hawk sitting on the run roof! I flew out there so fast. All the chickens and rabbits were hiding under the deck. The blue jays warned me yesterday that a hawk was in the trees. Was hoping they kept it away. They were yelling this morning, but my windows were closed and didn't hear
them. Was hoping the chickens can be out, since we're leaving for a week long camping trip Monday. Guess I'll be working in the yard today.
Got a good rain last night. More to come today.
Have a good day...

Back
Top Bottom