Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

You are a trooper, Mary.

I'm not too interested in them, our winters up here are so bitter that they usually end up with frostbite. My neighbor has kept them, and his chickens actually killed one of them, so I'm not sure it's necessarily a keet problem.
I'll bet Raz would like some!!

Oof that’s not good then. My dad has been wanting to start a meat bird flock, and so I’ve been dragged into helping him with that…. But he’s got a bad back so we need to find a way that he can have it run efficiently and effectively without him hurting himself.

Edit- I personally have no interest in a meat flock, but he tried the Cornish X this season and we have decided we want to try another breed/species since they were like zombie chickens, and I understand they have one purpose- meat, but idk I think he likes to see them act a little more idk how to put it… alive maybe?
The ones that don't grow quite as fast are more tasty as well, not quite as tender, but have more flavor in the meat.

A Sebright mix cockerel that was hen hatched this spring. He's pretty sharp looking.
IMG_3479.JPG

A Sebright mix cockerel that was hen hatched this spring. He's pretty sharp looking.View attachment 3671326
Beautiful! Curious as to the temperment, being hen raised?

This guy looks a lot like my guy! He is a Seabright/Appenzeller Spitzhauben mix. He looks so similar except for the tail. He's SUPER skittish and I blame that on not being handled as much as a chick because my bantam mama raided him.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231030-003837_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20231030-003837_Photos.jpg
    863.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Beautiful! Curious as to the temperment, being hen raised?

This guy looks a lot like my guy! He is a Seabright/Appenzeller Spitzhauben mix. He looks so similar except for the tail. He's SUPER skittish and I blame that on not being handled as much as a chick because my bantam mama raided him.
Not skittish, but not tame either. In my experience the Sebright mixes tend to be hot headed.

Back
Top Bottom