Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Ahhh alrighty gotcha, I first had made a joke about those are some odd looking hens but quickly edited it out because I was like we idk I don’t wanna come off as rude 😂 and no I didn’t see it last night, but I would have loved to!
I've made a lot of jokes on this thread that have gone over like a fart in church. :gig
I'm sure I'll make more.

So, the good news: I took two hens and three cockerels to the auction today, and they sold pretty well. Down to 34 birds, and only three males! Decent numbers for winter.
BUT, while there, a person brought 30 guinea keets, put them in wire crates in 45F temps in the wind, and I watched these little guys get cold and start dying. Awful! Two hours later, the auctioneer wouldn't sell them, so I offered to take them out of there immediately. Three dead on the way home, more probably not going to make it, but I hope most will pull through.
I don't like guineas!
Now have a batch in a brooder, bought game bird starter, and hope to have MANY needing new homes in a few weeks. You all must want some guineas, right?!
Mary

Last edited:
So, the good news: I took two hens and three cockerels to the auction today, and they sold pretty well. Down to 34 birds, and only three males! Decent numbers for winter.
BUT, while there, a person brought 39 guinea keets, put them in wire crates in 45F temps in the wind, and I watched these little guys get cold and start dying. Awful! Two hours later, the auctioneer wouldn't sell them, so I offered to take them out of there immediately. Three dead on the way home, more probably not going to make it, but I hope most will pull through.
I don't like guineas!
Now have a batch in a brooder, bought game bird starter, and hope to have MANY needing new homes in a few weeks. You all must want some guineas, right?!
Mary
I may be interested in a few guineas at some point… but I have to reevaluate everything soon. How many are there? They are the ones that get loud right? 😭😂 do they lay eggs like chickens?

Ok. I would love to have free range, only problem is the hawks are so heavy that within 24 hours of me letting my chickens into a non netted pen they were swarming the pen. We must be on some sort of migration or hunting path, since there are dozens of hawks and eagles that fly over and around each week. My only thought for upkeep with Guineas here would be a portable tractor big enough to sustain them for a few days.

My experience is that guineas are mean to chickens.
Oof that’s not good then. My dad has been wanting to start a meat bird flock, and so I’ve been dragged into helping him with that…. But he’s got a bad back so we need to find a way that he can have it run efficiently and effectively without him hurting himself.

Edit- I personally have no interest in a meat flock, but he tried the Cornish X this season and we have decided we want to try another breed/species since they were like zombie chickens, and I understand they have one purpose- meat, but idk I think he likes to see them act a little more idk how to put it… alive maybe?

Back
Top Bottom