Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I have a major problem tonight guys, my dog just ran past me before I could grab her and nailed one of our 7 wk old chicks ;(isa brown), the chick died, I had a screaming fit and now husband is mad. To make matters worse the grandchildren are coming tomorrow and will be playing and counting their chicks. I looked on Craigs tonight and there is some one selling 12 week old isa browns near me. Do you think I could put a 12 week in with the 7 weekers and not have a problem ? Or just let it go and explain to the kids and pray they arent as mad as my husband. Dang dog was just to fast and my hands were full with the feeder.
How old are your grandchildren? If they're pretty young, I'd suggest telling them that the chick got very hurt and died. Small kids won't be able to understand the dynamic of dog vs. chick, and might have a hard time with your dog after. Of course... they'll ask how the chick got very hurt, so be ready for that.
I'm sorry that happened. One of our dogs likes the chicks. He herds them, and lets them lie next to him. The other one would very much like to eat them. That one gets locked in the house whenever the birds are out of their coop/run.

I started the coop yesterday with all the free wood I picked up.

I also got the run cleaned up as much as I could today.

Anyway, my neck hurts, my head aches, my feet feel like someone fat has been walking all over creation on them... oh wait... my feet hurt from walking so much today...

ROTFLMAO

Recycled coop= Awesome. Great job

So sorry about your court case Raz. It's such a shame!

Opa - good catch!

I had to work today and just caught up on all the posts in this thread!! Everyone else . . . congrats, condolences, sympathies . . .

I finally got the chicks in that were ordered the beginning of February. I have never ordered from a hatchery and I don't think I would do it again. I only have 2 (so far) surviving Salmon Faverolles out of the 5 ordered. None of the Buff Brahmas were shipped (and won't be). The Welsummers (15) all seem okay so far but we will see how many are surviving by the end of a week's time. It was a rough trip and they were in transit way longer than they should have been.

If anyone has Salmon Faverolles at Chickenstock, it looks like I'll be in the market . . .

Yesterday morning I kicked myself for not having set up a blind behind my house and sat in it to watch for turkeys. Two large toms came strolling across the back yard. I did make a stalk on them and while I didn't spook them, I only got within 75 yards, just in time to see them fade into the brush.

This morning I will be waiting for them. A little before 7am I will be in the blind, calls in hand, gun at the ready. The decoys are set up 15 yards from the blind so I am ready. They probably won't appear today.

Nice coop Nova. I've been working on my new little coop as well. So far, no additional expense as I am repurposing wood from a project that was rebuilt last fall. No plans, but loosely following a coop online that is selling for over $2K. I wonder how many $2K coops they can actually sell.

The best part though...
DH is looking at what I completed yesterday and says, "So is this the way you want them then? How many more are you going to want? I know you're going to get more (chickens)."

yesss.gif
, I win!

431809_10200910391223464_1815812263_n.jpg

Who else is busy building this spring?

Hi mylobel, welcome to BYC and the Michigan thread :D

Thanks Nova. And I like the way your coop came out, my loosly planned movable coops never look that good.

Raz I don't know what to say, so I will just shake my head in disgust. Morons.

Tap, I have Fav eggs in my incubator, shipped though so I am not sure how they will work out. Got them on the PP swap thread on a whim.

Opa, glad you discovered that wire. And good luck with the turkeys, they are wiley critters!

Love your boy's picture 1mutts

I am very excited. I am getting a trio of bantam salmon faverolles from star bright farm next week!
celebrate.gif
I haven't told my son yet, I want to surprise him. They are one of the breeds he keeps asking for. So coop building will have to get moving! The weather forecast is 60 and 70's (first time this year) and DH went to an auction and got 20 sheets of plywood for $40. They have some nails in them but for that price I can pull nails.

Busy day today - son has 4-H acheivement day, I am working at a getting kids outdoors kickoff event, than my nephew has a birthday party. No time to play with the chickens!

Hope you get your turkey opa.

Love your boy's picture 1mutts

I am very excited.  I am getting a trio of bantam salmon faverolles from star bright farm next week!    :celebrate I haven't told my son yet, I want to surprise him.  They are one of the breeds he keeps asking for.  So coop building will have to get moving!  The weather forecast is 60 and 70's (first time this year) and DH went to an auction and got 20 sheets of plywood for $40.  They have some nails in them but for that price I can pull nails.

Busy day today - son has 4-H acheivement day, I am working at a getting kids outdoors kickoff event, than my nephew has a birthday party.   No time to play with the chickens!

Hope you get your turkey opa.

Congrats on the bantam favorelles and what a deal on that wood!!!

I really like the re-purposed wood for new coops. Those coops look nice. I love a woman who can swing a hammer...unless she is mad at me.

1muttsfan is now famous. Great photos.

It is already 55 degrees on a beautiful Saturday. Lots of chores done, lots more to do.

Back
Top Bottom