Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Oh boy. Think I'm headed to divorce court. Krisrose and I went to WoJo's and spent a bunch of money and THEN we went to Campbell's and spent a bunch more money!!! Hubby ain't gonna be happy with me! lol
So, got lots of planting to do! Hopefully, tomorrow will be a good day to plant all the flowers we bought!

Thanks, Kimmie. Otis is adorable and we are so enjoying him.

I just wanted to backtrack and say welcome to all the new folks. It's good to see everyone finding the Michigan thread straight away. It took me a while. When I'm teaching a 4-H workshop at Exploration Days (MSU), we open with a get-to-know-you exercise and though I despise social exercises I do like the one we use, which is to draw a Michigan map on the chalk board and have all the kids come up and show us where they're from and tell us something about their area. I've been all over in the state and it's my goal to see more of it and learn more about those places. Not everyone shares that love though. Sadly, sometimes I end up having to tell them about their own town or county (or in some cases even show them where there town is on the map) but then they learn something so it's still good. Similarly, I love meeting people in this thread from all over Michigan.

Today I dug out some beautiful pitch black compost from the sacrifice pen and cleaned out some straw from the barn to mulch the garden with. Sheep poo can go straight in and doesn't burn the plants so I just pitch fork and go. All the tomatoes are covered now, as well as the grapes, currants and elderberries. The only thing I don't mulch with sheep poo and straw is the tender greens like lettuce that would come in direct contact with the droppings. Chicken poo still gets composted until it breaks down and I cleaned the poop boards today too so that went into the pile. I'm also working on repainting the milk house door. I've scraped it and replaced some rotted trim but will hold off on the painting until after the daily rains.

Anyhow I need a break. I've been getting pretty exhausted. But I will be having some testing at the hospital done on Monday (ultrasound for my gall bladder) so hopefully we can figure out what the heck is wrong SOON. I hate playing the waiting game and they seem to enjoy making you wait. Hopefully nothing medical coincides with Chicken Stock. I turned down my brother-in-law's fiance's invitation for to her bachelorette party that day. If I have to be social, I'd rather do it with chicken people than attend a prissy tea party. I also turned down that same 4-H workshop the few days before on account of the fact that every year I've said I wasn't going to do it next year and I'm finally putting my foot down. So I guess if I need surgery, at least I had those things out of the way but it would be a shame to miss Chicken Stock.

So I got a lead on our local farmer's market the other day. The one in Lowell has too many hoops to jump through. I was told I would need some insurance? I dunno. But our little one out here
so were is this market?? would love to take my daughter some time and look at your yarn, she loves to knit
Hot and muggy! I went for a ride this morning. Rosie is a dead quiet horse and I was looking forward to a nice ride. Nope, she spooked hard
This is why I love you all so much! You make me feel normal! Lol

So I guess if I need surgery, at least I had those things out of the way but it would be a shame to miss Chicken Stock.
sorry you are having health issues , will say a prayer they find out soon

hot ,humid and dry here today, got a lot done but I sure am pooped!!!
th.gif
got to get some cleaning don, supper ready and kitchen cleand back up

got a broody on some eggs due to hatch around the 6th, last week another hen went broody, hope she can't count cause I plan to move some of the first hens eggs under her tonight. She is a super mom and very hard to break, finding a place for her may be an issue but I think I have it worked out,
Have a great eve, all,

New to BYC. From Southern Michigan. I raise Bantam Cochins and Marans.
Welcome!
Hi Everyone,
This is my first time on your site. I want to thank Opa for his advise and kindness today at Tractor Supply in Howell. He gave my Husband and I much needed advise on raising laying hens. We had 12 hens about 30 years ago, (when we were young), now in retirement we want to raise chickens and have eggs that we can call truly "fresh". We would like to attend your picnic at the end of the month. Can someone give me more information about it? What should we bring (food, chairs, soda, plates, silverware, etc)? Where is it being held? We live in Webberville along I-96. Thanks again Opa
There is a link in my signature to a sign up list. :)

I don't understand people......... glad you guys were willing to take that pup in Sam even though he found another home. I just don't understand how someone could just dump a puppy.....or a dog..... but a PUPPY? Boggles my mind.

Happy June everyone!

I stumbled upon backyardchickens a couple weeks ago when I was (and still am) asking newbie questions. Every time I googled something I ended up on this site.

We live in Mikado, MI in Alcona County.

I answered an ad on a local Facebook group for fresh eggs. When I arrived the wonderful lady took me on a tour of her place, showed me her coop, her chickens, her ducks, and so on. I was enchanted and when she told me that she was trying to find a home for one of the roosters because the other two were picking on him horribly I was caught.
I left and located my husband and it more or less went like this........

Honey.... can I have a rooster? Pleeeeeeease

Well, for some unknow reason this man loves me enough to put up with my crazy ideas. And he said yes.

For the next two weeks we battled lousy weather, full time jobs and the construction (repurpose) of a coop and run.

Tomorrow is the 2 week anniversary of Doodle & Daisy coming to live with us. We're all still adjusting and learning. I don't know if they're having fun, but I hope so and I know I am.

I am so happy to have found a "local" group to talk to! I believe Michigan is unique, as is every other state, and I am much more comfortable getting & taking advice from folks that battle the same climate.

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Leisa
Doodle's Coop

I don't understand people......... glad you guys were willing to take that pup in Sam even though he found another home. I just don't understand how someone could just dump a puppy.....or a dog..... but a PUPPY? Boggles my mind.

I live on a dirt road out in the country and I'm always amazed at what gets "dumped" at the end of our driveway. So far we've rescued an absolutely adorable puppy, and a few kittens. It's depressing, but fortunately we've found homes for all of them so far.

Rirjen- the silkie chicks I got from you in april are turning out absolutely gorgeous. I ll post pics as soon as I take some new ones tomorrow. Thanks so much for them. Margie

Back
Top Bottom