Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

One indisputable indicator that you're getting old is when you go to pull up a wrinkled sock only to discover that you aren't wearing any.
lau.gif
you win
Back here in Saginaw.
I had found a temporary job here and going to save up money for what's next or continue to full time permanent.
Cool thing is they just started a new plan where you can have 6 chickens for personal use.

Dont even have to get on the Right to Farm act on my side for basics.
thumbsup.gif

That is great, Girl, means you've moved forward! ... Which means you are not falling behind
smile.png
How is your egg count now?
Labor day is supposed to be a day to REST from your labor
smile.png

I hope everyone had a great Labor Day weekend. Me - I took it to heart and labored way too much. I'm not sure if I'll be able to move tomorrow . . .

lol, same here. re-tilled part of the garden to get some cabbage and broccoli in (hopefully not too late) and get the cover crop seeded. really shouldn't have neglected that part of the garden so much. some of the weeds were literally taller than me. oh well. with any luck the veggies will grow and make it worth while.

one of my brown leghorn chicks (pullets? when do they stop being chicks?) got out of the coop at some point this weekend. having just put some seeds in the garden and not (yet) having an actual run, i was going to keep all the birds in for a few day. not sure if this one missed head count on Sunday or actually managed to get out, but saw her outside yesterday. tried opening the coop up shortly before sunset, hoping no one would make it all the way to the garden that late and that she would follow everyone else back in for the night. no such luck. and of course in my sleep-addled state this morning, i let the dog out to do her thing. fortunately, i didn't make it far from the door when i heard a slight commotion. the dog had found the bird. fortunately, being an Australian Shepherd, she doesn't have much of an actual hunting instinct. and she came promptly when i called her. the chick was all wet, probably both from dog mouth and dewy grass, and only missing a few feathers with a slight tear in her skin. i caught her (after she ran from me to hide in some tall grass) and got her into the garage in a spare rabbit cage. when i put her down she just layed there, but i'm pretty sure that was mostly shock. i expect her to be fine by the time i make it home today.

not the best way to start the week
barnie.gif

I hope everyone had a great Labor Day weekend. Me - I took it to heart and labored way too much. I'm not sure if I'll be able to move tomorrow . . .

I hear you. No yard labor here, but worked Saturday, Sunday, Monday as a CNA. Three shifts in a row tuckers me out, especially because it is an hour drive to and from work, so it feels longer.

Maybe someone can help me? I have a baby chick limping..I can't see anything wrong with his/her leg...And he/she won't eat..It is eating grass when it isn't laying down in the shade...And it did drink some water when i afford it to him/her...I am new to having chickens..I don't have a clue what to do for it...Thank you for any help..

Ellen

Hi Ellen. Sorry I don't know the answer but if you post over in the "Incubating and Hatching Eggs" area -or- in the Emergencies area, you might get more responses. HTH. Good luck.

Well, back from my bridge walk in Mackinac.. it was fun to see my dad enjoy himself so much. Glad I was there to share the experience with him.

Saturday I saw that an egg under one of my hens had pipped and thought for sure it would be out by the time I got home..... it was late when I did, so I didn't check them till this morning........ poor thing was partially shrink wrapped in the shell.. looked like mom had put a foot or leg on him so he couldn't get out. Even after all that, it was still alive so I took it inside, ran it under warm water and pulled the shell off and then dried it under the blow dryer. Took it back out and stuck it under mom. I suspect it will probably not survive, but I hope I gave him a better chance.

I didn't get a darn thing done that I wanted too this weekend.. Saturday I got called into work for an emergency. Luckily after 6 hours I got it squared away so we would be up and ready to go on Tuesday when everyone came to work.

So this week I have to double time it in the evenings to try to make up for what I needed to get done. First on the list is to make a couple hay rack/grain stands for the goats and fix where little miss fancy pants is getting out of her pasture!

Last edited:
Maybe someone can help me? I have a baby chick limping..I can't see anything wrong with his/her leg...And he/she won't eat..It is eating grass when it isn't laying down in the shade...And it did drink some water when i afford it to him/her...I am new to having chickens..I don't have a clue what to do for it...Thank you for any help..

Ellen

How old is the baby chick? Feathers on it yet? Limping as in.. a lot or stumbling unable to support himself? could be a stubbed toe, dislocated hip... or a sign of disease depending on how. I had a chick that got himself stuck and I think broke/bruised a foot (was swollen) and limped so I put him in a brooder box with heat, water and food so it didn't have to run and hunt and was easier to keep an eye on it and it made a full recovery.

I would personally suggest you isolate the chick in some sort of brooder or dog crate, provide food and water (seems funny it would only be eating grass).. Provide heat as well depending on age. Monitor until you can figure it out for sure. check it's crop too for a spongy feeling, Not eating would lead me to believe something else is wrong vs just a bad leg.

Last edited:
So I just spent 2 hours picking tomatoes. Holy tomatoes!! I think I have somewhere around 3/4 of a bushel again. Not sure if I'm going to make more spaghetti sauce, or just plain salsa this time....but I'm definitely going to be making SOMETHING!

Back
Top Bottom