Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

*Sorry I haven't yet read the posts, going to do that very shortly:*

How worried should I be? My Fearless Stunt Chicken, Abaracadabara (aka Abbey) has given herself what seems to be a papercut in the webbing between her little toes! She likes to walk on the cardboard top of the brooder, which was once a pallet-sized heavy duty cardboard box of oranges. I noticed what looks like a papercut. I have Neosporin-should I apply it? She seems to be just fine otherwise and her sisters aren't bothering her. Thoughts? Thanks!

Just got the call! We are protected by the RTFA! Now to get some chicks and ducks for our family farm! Any advise on good breeds. I have 2 boys under 6 so they will be helping me..
Beyond excited!! Now to work on our coop!!
Congratulations and good luck!

Congratulations.

Make sure you have it in writing.

Everyone will have an opinion on breed. You can't go wrong with buff orpingtons for good egg production and gentle, friendly personalities.

Wise words.
2x
yuckyuck.gif

Went to the doctor this morning and he told me that my arm is going to be painful for a long time; one of the consequences of operating on bone. The last surgery was February 3rd and I thought it would have been totally healed by now. It isn't, but he says it's okay, but he still wrote another prescription for another round of antibiotics. After 18 months I'm getting awfully tired of dealing with this.

I think I need to change my internet and cable tv service. AT&T bill came today and it's gone up $50. Last time it went up I reduced the number of programs we get to get the price down, but I don't think we can reduce it anymore.

I know lots of folks constantly change cable providers and insurance companies on a regular basis as a means of trying to the prices half way affordable and get better service. I'm starting to think maybe the same theory should apply to barbershops. When I started going to my current barber my hair was brown and there were no bare spots. Each time I get my hair cut there is more gray and less of it. Wonder if it is caused by their technique?
Dang, your arm is still giving grief. ***healing vibes*** Good luck with the other stuff too.

Update on Abbey's foot: She seems fine, and since there has been no bloodshed i'll be on standby with the Neosporin. I freaked out a little because these are my first chickens and my very first "injury." I think I just got a tiny taste of the drama that human parents go through. (Resumes normal rate of breathing.) What a spaz I am.

one of my Iowa Blue chicks is favoring its left leg. still seems to be getting around when it wants to, but has been resting, almost like its trying to do a dust bath. no idea of how she did it.
Got that chick resting in a pet carrier by itself. the other chicks didn't seem to be pecking at it, but were stepping on it a lot, so opted to seperate it to see if hanging by itself for a while will cure what ails it.

I forget what to use to treat for tapeworms on chickens? I had not had any tapeworm issues for years, and just saw a few droppings covered with tapeworm lavae. :sick Will have to treat everyone on the farm! :barnie

I forget what to use to treat for tapeworms on chickens? I had not had any tapeworm issues for years, and just saw a few droppings covered with tapeworm lavae.
sickbyc.gif
Will have to treat everyone on the farm!
barnie.gif

Valbazen is a great wormer that will also get tapes. There is an egg withdrawal period, as with most wormers. But are you sure it is tapeworms you are seeing? Tapeworms shed oocysts (eggs) and entire segments. But it looks different from something larvae-like. If you google what a typeworm segment looks like, you'll see some great pictures
sickbyc.gif

It's time to start building a coop here pretty soon. I am going to try and swing to Menards possible tomorrow and get some lumber. I'm thinking 8x8 will be a good size to accommodate my current -and future- flock. I want to be able to have up to 15 or so at a time.

I also want to go raised up on posts, and then enclose the bottom for them to get a break from the sun if need be.

I've never really built anything or done any framing work, so this will be a good learning experience for that as well.

I was thinking I should probably use pressure treated on the posts, and the main flooring. Sound right? Also either 1/2 or maybe 5/8 for the floor sheathing? I was thinking OSB but since the bottom will probably be exposed to the world, that may not be a good idea long term (I didn't see pressure treated OSB, lol).

Just floating a few ideas at the moment while I get a plan together.

I forget what to use to treat for tapeworms on chickens? I had not had any tapeworm issues for years, and just saw a few droppings covered with tapeworm lavae. :sick Will have to treat everyone on the farm! :barnie

Valbazen is a great wormer that will also get tapes. There is an egg withdrawal period, as with most wormers. But are you sure it is tapeworms you are seeing? Tapeworms shed oocysts (eggs) and entire segments. But it looks different from something larvae-like. If you google what a typeworm segment looks like, you'll see some great pictures :sick

Googled it... Yup, its tapes. :barnie

....And it looks gross!

Last edited:
I moved the ladies/gents out to the garage tonight. They're just making too much dust/stink to live in my office. I noticed it's suppose to be 41 tonight, so I hope it won't be too cold for them. They're 6 and 8 weeks old so they should be fully feathered more or less. Last time we had a chilly night like this the garage got down to about 49-50 degrees.

Drywall project is moving along. We got the first coat of Kilz 2 primer up tonight which is great success. We'll see tomorrow if we want to do a second coat or not. I'd personally like to see a second coat, but since the Mrs' is the one doing a lot of the hard work, it'll probably depend on her.

She used a Wagner Smart Roller paint stick thing where you suck the paint up into the handle. It seemed to work pretty well but the **** thing is a bit of a hassle to clean.

I certainly can't wait until our living room is a living room again. This project is at least a week over time, and at least $200 over budget (not too bad in the grand scheme). It certainly makes the room look nicer than wood panel and exposed lath though, lol.

Ok i need a little advice. We are building our first hoop coop. I've been trying to come up with a way to keep critters from digging under and getting in. I'm thinking of putting in a "floor" of wire. Do you think I need to use hardware cloth? I think a fencing with larger holes would do a better job of letting the poop out and maybe be a little easier on the pocketbook. The hardware cloth is already about half the cost of the coop! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom