Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Any egg can be used for baking. Many folks like duck eggs, they claim they have a richer taste. However, the thing you need to consider is the size of the egg. Most recipes are based on a large egg. If your eggs vary much from 54 grams you need to adjust the amount you use. Whisk the egg to combine the albumen and yolk and then add to your baking mix by weight.

Good morning, newbie here. I am in Kalkaska county and looking for some laying hens/chicks. I have not had much luck on C/L so was hoping someone could lead me in the right direction.

The coop/run is almost ready for them and I am not picky about the age/breed, just want to get me some girls for some eggs. I do realize that if they are chicks, they won't lay till around 5 or so months.

Thanks in advance and glad I found this site!

@wannahomestead
My peppers & tomatoes have some white spots too. Last week I noted teeny black bugs..that jump. They are flea beetles. Treating with neem oil; first app last Friday. Already doing better, but that one cold day/night right after Labor Day definitely affected the plants. I always wait til Labor Day week to put the garden. This year it was pretty much a week early (fell about as early as it can). I'm just gonna keep an eye on things & worst case, if I have to replace a few plants, so be it. Of course I have 32 pepper plants (8 kinds ranging from banana sweet to ghost!).
Mine have a more rusty/brown look to them. I'm worried it may be bacterial leaf spot, but of course that's the worse case (it's like when you look up a symptom on webMD and your slight cough or itch turns into full blown cancer with a side of hepatitis and a lupus dessert) so I'm going to try and not worry too much about it. If it is, there's nothing I can do at this point anyway :-/

Good morning, newbie here. I am in Kalkaska county and looking for some laying hens/chicks. I have not had much luck on C/L so was hoping someone could lead me in the right direction.

The coop/run is almost ready for them and I am not picky about the age/breed, just want to get me some girls for some eggs. I do realize that if they are chicks, they won't lay till around 5 or so months.

Thanks in advance and glad I found this site!
Welcome to the site. Usually CL has tons of adds for chicks. You can order them through the mail too. I think anyway with this bird flu scare going on...good luck! Try Townline Hatchery, or Cedar Creek Hatchery online. There's a guy in my town that sells through the mail too, 231-747-9899. I'm sure all at once you'll find plenty of chicks and then you'll be over-run like me!

just finished up my morning stuff, including tending to the ducks. I brought 4 of them out for a few minutes to wander (run away) the yard. while looking at the 2 pekin I noticed both of them have red spots on their feet that look almost like scrapes/abrasions. Their feet are also peeling. I did a quick search that says ducks feet can peel a bit as they grow; my khaki campbells don't appear to have the same thing going on. I cleaned their feet up and hit them with a mild antiseptic (no *caine) just to be safe, then changed out some of their bedding. Btw, those who said that ducks are messy, they didn't lie ;)

The Pekins are also getting really big already.

Here's a sampling of my garden plants. I'm seeing spotty bits like this all throughout

Tomato

Pepper

Cucumber

Last edited:
Any egg can be used for baking. Many folks like duck eggs, they claim they have a richer taste.  However, the thing you need to consider is the size of the egg.  Most recipes are based on a large egg.  If your eggs vary much from 54 grams you need to adjust the amount you use.  Whisk the egg to combine the albumen and yolk and then add to your baking mix by weight.
Absolutely true! Usually I calculate my duck's eggs to equal about 1.5 chicken eggs, sometimes 2, and when my girls were younger, even 2.5. For super serious bakers, I think weighing is the only way to go. Plus, one other factor is the moisture volume varies subbing duck eggs too (sometimes you'll make a batter "too wet").

Female duck in Battle Creek area needing rescue. (From Facebook)

Absolutely true! Usually I calculate my duck's eggs to equal about 1.5 chicken eggs, sometimes 2, and when my girls were younger, even 2.5. For super serious bakers, I think weighing is the only way to go. Plus, one other factor is the moisture volume varies subbing duck eggs too (sometimes you'll make a batter "too wet").

Female duck in Battle Creek area needing rescue. (From Facebook)
hmm if I was ready for a full grown duck I'd consider helping. I'm only about 35 min from battle creek.

I am less than pleased with my 3 indoor cats. I had a slight headache last night which turned into a full blown migraine at about 5pm, it's been a few years since I had one; as in couldn't get off the couch, deal with light, sound, etc. Woke up around 0130, it was slightly better & decided to try some caffeine (headache is MUCH better, but, @bigmrg74 ), I'd give anything for a head & neck massage; even if you're still hacking & coughing!). Go out side door, there's one cat, he comes in. Go back out a while later. There's Little Girl; she has never gone outside since she came in 2 years ago. I still haven't seen Precious. One of the BRATS pushed out the screen on one of the windows...so I also have a to of moths in the house.

So glad today is my day off...
All the coughing and hacking is out of my system, and I do have some openings tomorrow afternoon.

http://www.lifeisactive.com/

734-660-5919 is the office number and ask for Matt. I have open hour slots at 3, 4:15, and at 7, And if none of those spots work for you, there are other therapist with other openings tomorrow as well.

Back
Top Bottom