Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I know this isn't an emergency thread but I could really use some input. I've researched the the forums and still a little unsure about what to do. One of my girls (Icelandic mix) appears to have hurt her leg. I don't think it's broken maybe sprained or dislocated. She's obviously in pain. I plan on getting some baby aspirin on my way home tonight to help her with the pain. She's sleeping in the nesting boxs instead of the roosts and appears to be eating and drinking and pooping okay. Bright red comb and doesn't look like she's lost any weight. I'm thinking about putting her in a sling in a dog crate inside the coop so she doesn't have to put any weight on it. I hate to isolate her completely and really dont have any room to right now anyways. Do any of you think this is a bad idea?

Not me. I'd have to tear out all of that stuff. However, the industrial meat cooler could be filled with beer! :drool

The building would make a nice wood shop though.

This property is a bit over my budget as listed and I haven't seen the interior yet. It's located about 5 miles past BFE. :lol:
Sounds like a good use of the cooler! Lol

I know this isn't an emergency thread but I could really use some input. I've researched the the forums and still a little unsure about what to do. One of my girls (Icelandic mix) appears to have hurt her leg. I don't think it's broken maybe sprained or dislocated. She's obviously in pain. I plan on getting some baby aspirin on my way home tonight to help her with the pain. She's sleeping in the nesting boxs instead of the roosts and appears to be eating and drinking and pooping okay. Bright red comb and doesn't look like she's lost any weight. I'm thinking about putting her in a sling in a dog crate inside the coop so she doesn't have to put any weight on it. I hate to isolate her completely and really dont have any room to right now anyways. Do any of you think this is a bad idea?
I don't know if aspirin is safe for chicks, but I isolate with a dog rate in the coop or run all the time to integrate (already quarantined) new birds. Chickens hate to be alone. Just my two cents.

IMG_2726.jpg
IMG_2718.jpg

I don't know if aspirin is safe for chicks, but I isolate with a dog rate in the coop or run all the time to integrate (already quarantined) new birds. Chickens hate to be alone. Just my two cents.
I second this^^^ Pain meds are risky in birds.

Have had several with bad limps. First, check skeletal conformation to see if it is indeed dislocated, comparing the 2 sides should give you a pretty good idea as a dislocation would be obvious.

If not dislocated, and bird is not getting around well at all I isolate in wire dog crate right in the coop with a daily outing(usually around roost time) to let her get some exercise and to assess her mobility. If still not great, I put back in crate after dark, or before if it's really bad. A few days of rest usually really helps, tho limp may last for a few weeks.

These fold-able wire crates are an essential chickeneering tool, IMO.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...rates-a-good-tool-for-every-chickeneer.72619/

I second this^^^ Pain meds are risky in birds.

Have had several with bad limps. First, check skeletal conformation to see if it is indeed dislocated, comparing the 2 sides should give you a pretty good idea as a dislocation would be obvious.

If not dislocated, and bird is not getting around well at all I isolate in wire dog crate right in the coop with a daily outing(usually around roost time) to let her get some exercise and to assess her mobility. If still not great, I put back in crate after dark, or before if it's really bad. A few days of rest usually really helps, tho limp may last for a few weeks.

These fold-able wire crates are an essential chickeneering tool, IMO.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...rates-a-good-tool-for-every-chickeneer.72619/
Thanks Aart. I've had chickens for the last 3 years and grew up on a farm but this is my first time dealing with an injury like this. I have a couple medium size dog crates I can put her in one and she'll still be around the rest of her flock. Right now she's out and about with them and they don't seem to be picking on her but she is avoiding them unless its treat time. I noticed her limping on Sunday and scooped her up and looked her over but I will check her out better. I'm guessing she jumped off the roost wrong or the rooster was a little too rough with her it's hard to know for sure. I was thinking pain meds just because I hate to see her hurting BTW she's about 1 1/2 yrs old.

Hello I have a Royal Palm Tom and two hens I would like to rehome. They are a year old and the hens are laying. I would prefer that they not be eaten but provided a good home. I live in Jackson if anyone is interested. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom