Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

RA is definitely no fun. I have a few cousins and a close friend who were diagnosed with it in their early 30s. My friend has switched over the the AIP diet mentioned above and said it really helped, but it is a very big commitment and she struggles with being able to find "safe" snacks on short notice. She even went off coffee for a month because that's one thing you cut out in the beginning as well. :th

The pullet I moved out to the big coop survived the night, so that's a good thing. She, however, was not IN her huddle box but had instead moved it over 3in and was between it and the edge of the crate. Silly chicken. 2nd dose of de-wormer was given today, and a few more faces are starting to pink back up, so I'm hopeful that a few more ladies will start laying soon.

I was just getting ready to make a lengthy ISO post for the poultry-related FB groups I'm in for when DH goes to Detroit in a couple of weeks and then decided to check the hatchery websites one more time JUST in case they had changed availability on any of the breeds I was looking for. Lo and behold, BLRW pullets for April 2nd! :celebrate I'm one happy chicken collector this afternoon. They'll more than likely all be splash, but I can deal with it. 'Dottes are my favorite.

Any injury or disease to your hands has to be about the worst thing. I don't have RA but something called "post traumatic arthritis". On top of that I had "falling bones" in the right wrist. They were rubbing against each other. Talk about pain. But the surgery in January removed 3 of the offenders so the pain is gone but I lost so much strength. Doing chores may or may not be helping the healing.

About a foot of heavy wet snow here. Really worked the new plow today. Did my drive and 2 neighbors. Have to go back out and finish the clean up. After I get warm and the frostbite recedes.

Collected 19 eggs today.

Ripped the back pocket of my jeans today while on my way to Adrian to FFH. I thought it was awfully damn breezy when I got out of my car. Luckily, I had on my good underwear on today. Anyways, looked at chicks while getting new chicks. Kinda surprised by the lack of the staff attention there at FFH as there was a family that came in with I think 5 kids there that was just looking at the chicks as well. Kinda wanted to yell at the Mom there as she was picking up chicks to let the kids pet them. Pretty sure that its against store policy. That and I wouldn't want a chick that had been handled roughly by some sugarloaded 5 year old. But that should have been the staff handling that I guess. Only left with the pants as that I still need to clean out my brooder and get it set up. Will do that next week.

Collected 19 eggs today.
Everyone seems to be laying...
Chickens: YUP. Good thing all my egg buyers want eggs right now! (and I'm in the process of loading the incubator)
Ducks: 10 hens of 14 laying regularly
Turkeys: 2 of 4 hens laying regularly
Geese: 4 eggs on Wednesday (from around 7 girls)
Guinea Fowl: not yet. But I don't expect them to for a little while

AW. Goose eggs, now that's something I want. My geese need to get their rears in gear. They're hissy and mean enough they should be laying, IMO. Geese really make me appreciate my muscovies! I hope their eggs are good, because the gander's attitude isn't.

Hi guys... and welcome to the newbies...

Thanks for all the info on my toothy adventure... I am still having issues in my jaw from the shots, even with salt rinses etc., and numbness in my face, but it's going away. I'll have to give the cork a try, though it didn't tell me if I should drink the wine before or after, lol. I have a mouth guard as well, but it is ill fitting now with the tooth gone and other prior dental work changing my teeth.

I have been absent here because I was with my family. It was the most difficult two weeks of my life watching my dad die. My sister and I were swapping nights to stay up and give him morphine every hour. I am blessed that I could help take care of my dad instead of strangers. We were with him when passed away on Friday and we had the funeral Monday. Work allowed me to work from home for 2 weeks so I could run to my parents home as needed. I have been off work all this week so it's going to be tough to go back Monday after being out 3 weeks. My dad was an incredible man and I will miss him terribly.

Back
Top Bottom