Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

:gig I have had daydreams about doing exactly that.

Can't remember, have you had roosters before?
It can be tricky to get 'them to behave'.

Not my first rooster rodeo. Larry replaced a roo that fell to a fox.
I think the problem is when the hens reject his advances. My hens are older than he and he gets frustrated. I think that if I had more hens he would be alright. I lost about half my flock in the past few weeks. On the other hand, a frustrated or aggressive rooster just can't stay. He gets one more chance to prove his worth.

Thanks for stepping up Candy... I only have time to hop on BYC in the am (at work :oops:), and then I just don't have time to contribute on here, at least this year.

Raz, I think it was the fox, if it were during the day and while you were gone, then the fox was watching the house. I've had juvenile foxes go after my turkeys during the day...which I put a quick stop too. But I have seen the one that hangs around here, watching our farm. I can never leave the birds out if I'm not home. I have a broody Uggo hen on eggs, if they hatch before CS. They are a mix of different standard hens bred to a Sumatra roo.

However, I heard this will be a banner year for ticks :barnie I hope chickens find them or maybe I will look into some guineas? I really don't want those noisy birds but if they eat ticks a lot they may be worth looking into to with our tree covered jungle yard.

My guineas are laying 4-5 eggs a day. You should be able to find hatching eggs or keets somewhere.

Do guineas really eat a lot of ticks? I suppose with my "jungle" yard, their noise should fit right in :D
I wondered that myself. Is it a proven fact or just a semi-fact (myth) like the one that bats eat 10,000 mosquitoes a night.
I would like to try a few guineas here. The noise wouldn't bother me back here in the woods. I'm still looking for peafowl. Love that call the cocks make.

Hi, everyone! I haven't been on BYC in awhile, but tonight, my chicken Beyonce randomly died. I can't remember proper egg procedure. Do I throw all of them out? Wait a few days to see if other chickens die? She was a three year old australorp. No signs of trauma (no blood, no feathers). It just looks like she laid down & died: wings at her side, one foot curled and the other flat. I'm kind of squeamish, so I didn't check her vent for impaction; but she is buried in a plastic bag & I can dig her back up if I have to. Thanks in advance! I haven't had a chicken death in three years, and I forgot how sad it is...:(

Sometimes it just happens. If you wanted to go through with the expense, you could send the bird in for a necropsy. Otherwise, sometimes it just happens, could have been worm load, disease, poor genetics. The saying goes, "you can't have livestock without deadstock".

Back
Top Bottom