Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

117238377_10107657262910765_883761601586887600_n.jpg

Got a green one from one of the Olive Eggers today.

Doing some yard work (never enough!) and general 'stuff', seems like slow motion compared to years gone by. Shopping, never a favorite, takes less time in the store, hate being there, and more time at home, unpacking, wiping, sorting. And whatever's on the list, some item or other will not be on the shelf.
Weather, beautiful! Love the better temps this week!
Our two remaining white Chantecler cockerels are spending their time with the hens, rather than splitting up and one going with any of the pullets. Who knows what they are thinking? The six Chantie pullets are a team, out further from the coop every day, and the eight younger pullets are closer to the coop, sometimes with one of the bantam EE cockerels. Things are settling down, but not organized as I thought it would be, at least not yet.
When the pullets come into lay, probably rearrangements will occur...
Mary

The weather has been divine, that'll change tomorrow with more nasty heat coming.

The Junior Contingent 13wo.
Dinners need to go soon.
Sister's gonna be lonely.
Never had this scenario before, could be bad news.
Last time I had this broody chick ratio, there was a younger batch of chicks for her to hang with and it worked out OK. This time, not sure how it will go.
Thought about keeping one cockerel as a buddy, but he may harass her too much for it to be any solace.DecisionsDecisions.
1596807192924.png

I would also be tempted to keep her a buddy, at least until she had established herself in the flock. But boys do cause trouble!

Had a heavenly few spare hours yesterday afternoon, hand-watered some of my flower beds and watched the bees flying around.

Hi cmom!

Last year we had a few Cornishx chicks and two Orphingtons, cockerel and pullet, with them. When the Cornishx birds left at nine weeks, the two BOs started integrating with the flock. The cockerel ate some humble pie, and the two ran around together for a couple more weeks. Then he was rehomed, and she moved into the flock pretty gracefully. It all worked out just fine.
I think that transition time was good, maybe easier on her than having the cockerel gone immediately.
Mary

I would also be tempted to keep her a buddy, at least until she had established herself in the flock. But boys to cause trouble!
Trying to decide which one, never know how they will behave once the others are gone. The flock keeps this group pretty well out of the mix of things, why they were all segregating on the roost.
And I'd really rather slaughter them all at once....but maybe that will be another new thing to experience.

Back
Top Bottom