Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Haven't seen too many coons this year. Last year there were a abundance of them. Had to take care of a few. But, as long as they don't become a menace, I will leave them alone. As long as you have a secure run and the chickens are locked up for the night securely in their coop, they shouldn't be a problem.
We have not seen very many either. Seems the electric wire around the bottom of the run helps deter them. lots of dead ones on the road.
We have heard owls, barred and screach... love the owl's Love the owl's could listen to them all night. love seeing the raptors also. although we have plenty of rabbits, they could leave my chickens alone :(

While I would love to raise turkeys to eat, I find that when push comes to shove I have a hard time eating anything that I have Raised. I just lose my appetite.
I have the same problem to an extent. I couldn't cull my birds personally. But I did take several to Munsell's when I lived down there. Now that I'm up here, I find that there is no place nearby to do the deed. Maybe I can find some local Amish who can process birds for me.
I think that my young rooster is going to have to go to freezer camp. He is still being a jerk and bully.
My chicken plan from the start was eggs and meat,
new layer chicks every year and some meat in the freezer.
Slaughtering is not my favorite part of chickeneering,
took me all winter to get up the nerve to slaughter that first excess trouble making cockerel,
but it sure is satisfying and delicious.
The first older hens were almost as hard to do as that first cockerel.

The first older hens were almost as hard to do as that first cockerel.
Doing the two cockerels who turned into unholy terrors was HARD. I'm not sure how I will manage old hens. I have a few years to get used to the idea, at least.

Yes, I know that's part of the deal. My husband said he would be happy to eat eggs, but will have no part of killing any birds (even though he has tasted home grown chicken and said there is no comparison to store bought). So I'll be on my own.

Doing the two cockerels who turned into unholy terrors was HARD. I'm not sure how I will manage old hens. I have a few years to get used to the idea, at least.

Yes, I know that's part of the deal. My husband said he would be happy to eat eggs, but will have no part of killing any birds (even though he has tasted home grown chicken and said there is no comparison to store bought). So I'll be on my own.
My girls are pets first with eggs as an added benefit. I can't eat anything I have named and snuggle. I have to buy my chicken at the store.

So far, we do too. We didn't eat the two I culled. They're fertilizing the garden now. I've said thank you to them, just like I do to the pullets who give me eggs. :)

It wasn't their fault they were born male.

When I have to kill a bird for any reason, I just tell myself firmly-and repeatedly-that they had a great life and a quick death. Since my birds are pretty much smaller laying type birds, there's not much meat on them so I don't feel bad about not eating them myself. I take them out into the field and leave them for the wildlife so they get to contribute local ecology.

I take them out into the field and leave them for the wildlife so they get to contribute local ecology.
I've done that too, mostly with sick birds I had to euthanize.
This year I(broody) only hatched 4, 1 pullet and 3 males.
2 males I gave away with a sign at roadside, the 3rd 'fed the fox' a couple weeks later.

My old hens live in retirement, because we do have the space for them. Obnoxious cockerels or roosters go to the freezer, if not ours, someone's. Good extra cockerels we do try to rehome, although that's not always possible. If their new owners eat them, that's fine too.
We raise our own meat birds, generally the Freedom Rangers rather than the Cornishx types.
Right now we have extra bantam cockerels, too small to bother butchering, and too nice too.
Mary

Reached that point tonight. Little Boy earned himself a trip to freezer camp. Son of a gun is back to being overly aggressive and was getting squirrely with me.
As it turned out, he is spending the night outside of the coop on a cold, rainy night. He made that choice when I went out to close up the coop and he charged me from behind. He had been in the coop harassing the birds trying to bed down. Earlier, he ambushed one of the hens and beat her up. It wasn't for mounting; it was just a sneak attack. Big Boy came to the rescue before I got there.
No room for aggressive here but there is room in the freezer.

Hi all! I know you’re having a serious talk about culling (I have a barnyard mix Cockerel that won’t be able to stay, he’s a turd. But I can’t bring myself to actually do the deed).
I did want to ask if anyone else in MI had Olive Eggers from Townline hatchery? I’d love to see pictures of eggs if possible. I have 3 of them and they are going on 21 weeks this Monday. No eggs from any of their 12 flock mates either so I’m living for other peoples experiences!
I think Townlines mix is relatively new - they don’t even have pictures of their stock on the website. I’d like to know if I will get olive eggs or if I’m doomed to brown eggs. At this point, though, I’d take ANY EGGS. Come on, pullets!!!

Back
Top Bottom