Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

This is my first little flock and they are all from Townline. Never having done this before, the sales people at farm and home encouraged me to get 5 different birds...honestly, they were horrible to work with (but that’s another story)

I have one more waiting to lay...she is an Americana...or as many have told me a fancy Easter Egger. She is suppose to lay blue eggs. That will round out my colors for this year.

They are all wonderful ladies and I’m learning a lot from them and more from BYC. 😉

You know what Chicken Math is right?

So I did something new...imagine that. Boiled a few Banty eggs. Finished a mason jar of pickled beets we made and instead of tossing the fluid I dropped the eggs in the jar and refrigerated. Pennsylvania Dutch Pickled Eggs or equivalent, lol
We grew up on pickled eggs!! I grew up going to my grandparents farm and they pickled EVERYTHING! They immigrated from Europe in the early 1900s. The lessons of simplicity and humility stick w me today. Can’t wait to grow my own Veges next season and start canning again! If anyone has ever canned meat, would love your insight.

If anyone has ever canned meat, would love your insight.
I have not (yet), but my neighbor has canned a lot of meat. It absolutely has to be done under pressure! If you don't have a pressure canner, start looking for one. Canning supplies are VERY scarce where I am now. I started buying things I knew I'd need for canning in May-June, and still had trouble finding some things like wide mouth lids.

I found a good source for lids online: Filmore Container. I don't know if they still have them. The reviews about FC were very positive.

Estate sales are sometimes a good source of canning jars; maybe you can find a pressure canner there? Be prepared to need to replace the ring; I had no trouble getting a ring for my 25+ year old canner online.

When I start canning meat, I'll probably can more of it as "finished" meals, like stew or chili, as opposed to just canning the meat. One other thing about a pressure canner, but this is just me: I would only get one that held 7 quart jars (unless I couldn't find one). Just be aware that it will be VERY heavy when full. And if I had it to do over again, I would get one with a weight, not a dial gauge.

Back
Top Bottom